4.3 Throttle body tank in Ls1?

kevink2

Weekend Racer
Sep 23, 2007
Detroit
i'm planning to put a Ls motor in a G-Body Cutlass. I'm wondering if the gas tank and sending unit from a TBI Monte will work. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance, Kevin

G-Body

Daily Driver
Feb 18, 2008
Downers Grove
I believe that the TBI monte tank will bolt in.....if it does it will work out perfectly. You can use the TBI tank so that you have baffles, and the TBI sending unit will work perfectly with a higher pressure fuel pump. Just swap the TBI pump out of the sending unit and put a high pressure pump in.

deuce_454

Amateur Racer
Jul 21, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
yup.. works like a charm.. just get a walbro 255 pump.. they have a kit specifically for that tank...

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I'm going that route. I'm using a replacement pump for a 1987 IROC Z with 350 TPI. I don't need a "big" pump, so the high pressure factory replacement works fine for me.

kevink2

Weekend Racer
Sep 23, 2007
Detroit
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately some genuis decided to jack the car up by the gas tank. So I'll keep searching.

A

Anonymous

i plan on going the same route as far as a tank goes.. i checked with the local oreillys and they could get one for right around 200 bucks..

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
kevink2 said:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately some genuis decided to jack the car up by the gas tank. So I'll keep searching.

The previous owner was a Ford engineer? ;)

Tommy

G-Body

Daily Driver
Feb 18, 2008
Downers Grove
MalibuRacing said:
I'm going that route. I'm using a replacement pump for a 1987 IROC Z with 350 TPI. I don't need a "big" pump, so the high pressure factory replacement works fine for me.

Did you already buy the pump? If you didn`t that would not be my first choice for a pump. The TPI`s run at 43.5psi and the LSx`s run at 60psi, I have heard that the pressure is higher than the TPI pump is designed to run at and that it could shorten the lifespan of the pump. If you already have the pump its not a big deal I know a couple guys had them already in their 3rd gens and have been running for a couple years without a problem, but it is something to consider.

Other pump options would be a pump for a 96-98 350 vortec R code suburban, and I am running a pump for a 2001 f-body that I picked up new off e-bay for $50, theres a couple places that sell the pump as a replacement. If you get the one for a f-body there is a second output, but you can block it off like I did, there should be pics/description of that in the El Camino swap thread on LS1Tech

A

Anonymous

the iroc pump wont be a problem.. i believe they are regulated to that pressure..

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
Try ebay for the gas tank, they have brand new ones listed for under 200 with shipping, also the grand national tank will work, but the filler neck on either tank will need to be bent upwards or cut down due to clearance issues with the license plate/gas tank door closing properly. Also, pt# grn-gm722-2 fuel pump from Summit is effective. In order for the tb sending unit to hook up properly with the ls fuel rails go to performanceplumbing.com and they have a ready made kit consisting of lines and fittings just for this swap.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts