5.3 v. 6.0 couple quick q's

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
hoping to do a lsx swap soon, tired of the crappy mileage and lack of power (relatively speaking) or my vortec 350 vs. the lsx motors. couple quick q's. 5.3 vs. 6.0. locally at the scrap yard, the price difference is about $300. my plan would be ls6 intake/tb, headers, cam and the rest stock. wich would be better the 5.3 or 6.0? i know with the 5.3's are giving up some displacement, but what is the HP difference in the two with comparable mods? this will be going infront of a th350 trans in a street car. my goal is low 11's on motor and 10's on the jug (100 shot). all comments criticizms welcomed

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
If your looking for low 11's, you'll want the 6.0L lq9, not lq4....lq9 has more compression and I believe about 40-50 more HP. they are both 6.0l blocks. Also find a block with 317 stamped on the corner of the top of the head, usually aluminum. I took the whole thing, transmission and all, and trust me it was worth it, the 4l80 is a turbo 400 with an overdrive, basically good for about 700 hp even though it is a bit heavier, with my 4.11 gears, I'm still getting 20+ mpg no problem. I'll tell you like i telle verybody, i may not know it all, but if you've got specific questions that I can answer, just let me know. Do know though, that if your goign to change to the ls6 intake/tb, you'll need teh fuel rails and injectors as well. What wiring harness are you using, the one from the truck, or are you taking one from a camaro/trans am?

The difference in price is well worth it. Stats here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine

Basics though are lq4 had 325 hp and 370 hp while the lq9 had 347 hp and 380 tq.

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
i'd probably use the truck harness since the guy at the yard said he'd throw them in for free. do you have the link to the guys thread that had everything broken down money wise? i'm trying to get ball park estimates on this stuff before i dive in to see how long it would take

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=81540

the only problem i forsee is this, when you do the ls6 topend you need different ruel rails, crossover, fuel pressure gauge and fuel injectors with wiring. thats a pretty penny for all that stuff. Thats why I maintained my stock intake til I can get the F.A.S.T. 92 mm intake and throttle body. again, more questions let me know ;)

Cutlass3800

Amateur Racer
May 4, 2009
Medicine Hat, Alberta
I just found this link and thought I'd share. It's a good read if you're trying to determine which LSx engine (and year of that engine) to go with.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1096/gen_iii_gm_small_block.aspx

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
Id get the cheapest 6.0 you can find, get all the wiring and a truck intake with FPR on the rail. The jump in price for a Lq9 really isnt worth it. If this is a street car just run the truck intake, it is almost equal to the ls6 intake, which pulls ahead at 6300+ but your running NOS, so who cares!

360demonRT

Frequent Racer
Jul 13, 2008
central Ky
what makes the difference in the horsepower anyway? different heads? cam profiles? compression? i'll see what my 'yard has. what years have the DBW and what years have the cable... i'd MUCH prefer to have a cable.. just one less thing to mess with. what are you guys running for fuel systems? stock tank with an external pump and regulator?

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
just the compression ratio. same heads, same cam. I run the stock tank with an external walbro pump, and my intake has the regulator return built in.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
compression ratio will help you get some power, yes, but cam and intake are pretty big power adders. If you can get the right combo, again search http://www.ls1tech.com or their sister site for a performancerucks.net you can see people pushing out big power with the same motor. My fuel system, though probably not recommended, is teh stock tank with an in tank fuel pump and a fuel sending unit from a 87/88 FI monte carlo or other like vehicle. I bought an in tank fuel pump from summit, good to 550 hp on juice or boost or 600 n/a, cost was about 169. Most recommend getting the sumped fuel tank, or if you watch here enough, people sell tehir sumped tank with sump and sending unit on bottom of the tank. I was on a tight budget thats why I wnet with what I did.

What are the things your going to be looking for right now? cams, headers, heads? I mean you can awlays buy the whole kit from summit, good for 600 hp on an ls1, but its almost 3k. Headers I bought from BRPhotrods, I think it was 535 shipped, or something around that, those helped. Your biggest and best thing to get is either EFI live or HPTuners software if your keeping it FI, this way you can program it as you see fit, say race gas, nitro, advance timing if you want.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
HP tuners is much easier to use imo than efi live

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts