7.5 Mini Spool on the street question?

jakedog

Frequent Racer
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY
Just got a 80 malibu, it supposedly has a 355, it is a 010 block, it has 305 heads i found, mild cam, mild stall, 400 turbo transmission, and it has the stock 7.5 rearend with 3.08 gears in an open rearend, I was thinkin about throwing a mini spool in for now, it is drivin on the road but not much,i will be driving it to the track, the track opens in 2 weeks and funds are low right now, i'm not gonna run slicks, How bad of an idea is this ? is it gonna brake? How long will i get out of it??? please advise.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
You'll get the "I've been running a mini spool for blah blah blah and it works just fine."

Unless you're driving on dirt, just don't do it. You're not going to dead hook anyways, so it's not worth the effort.

A

Anonymous

Like Supe said,unless you are running on dirt keep your money.
Go to a junkyard and find a S-10 with a posi and swap that in, that will work for awhile until you can afford something better.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Supe said:
You'll get the "I've been running a mini spool for blah blah blah and it works just fine."

Unless you're driving on dirt, just don't do it. You're not going to dead hook anyways, so it's not worth the effort.

just went through the same thing. 250 street miles and 6 passes was all it could handle in my car. the last pass was the first time i ever put the pedal to the floor and i snapped an axle. when i took the rear apart...the mini spool was all twisted up too. spend the extra $$$ and buy a posi or better yet...a new rearend!

Sickness

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2005
Long Island
Supe said:

Seen too many 7.5's explode, even when "built"..Mini spools are just crap in any rear..

Sickness

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2005
Long Island
A real spool is great...People who don't even have them get all worked up and say things like "you can't drive on the street with one, or your car will instantly vaporize"...I have a spool in my streetcar, no complaints here. Just be aware of it...Don't try to be Johnny Road Racer around turns and you'll be okay. It makes it more fun to drive :p ...But like I said, just be aware of it.

A

Anonymous

I have one in my 79 camaro(now), and have had no issues with it. And I am running 295/50/15 cooper cobras on it, and it is fun to run in the winter on snow and ice, or on a right hand turn stab it and go.

A

Anonymous

Im running a spool in my 9" and it is a street car that sees some track action. Like it was said before your not going to do any canyon carving with it. But you will turn heads at the local cruise ins when turning into your spot and hearing the inside wheel chirpin. I get more comments on that then just about anything else on the car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts