mini spool on the street

woody31

Frequent Racer
hello ,,i need some advise,,,

what are your thoughts on running a mini spool on the street???LIMITED USE ONLY.

i have a open 243 )sux) diff, for regular driving,,

but i need a 373 for when i wanna play,,,my idea is to take a spare rear end and set it up with a set of 373 and a mini spool,,,and swap them out depending on the need??

i have a spare rear end for 50 bux,
mini spool and ring gear spacer with new bolts for 139.99

so is this possible???

i plan on driving the elcamino to waco for a car show,,then go to little river dragway and swap the rear end at the track,,or can i drive it to waco witht the mini spool rear end in place,,,thanks

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Swap the rear end at the track? Good luck with that! Spools suck on the street plain and simple. Its done all the time I did it just last weekend. It all depends on how much you can put up with a car with horrible street manners.

woody31

Frequent Racer
thanks for the reply ed,,,i only plan on using this rear end for racing,,i bracket race the elky bout 3[4 times a yr,,so it wont be in there all the time,,and the other rear end is complete drum to drum,,wouldnt think it would be that bad at the track,,2 shock bolts,,4 bolts on driveshaft,,4 bolts on control arms,,and brake lines,,your thoughts??? is this possible,,thanks

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
if you run a spool once in a while on the street dont try to make sharp turns. also if you swap your tires to something "less sticky" like some thinner radial tires so the inside wheel can spin on the pavement, should be ok. ive seen a few guys sheer off wheel studs too so be cautious.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
buy a cheap used posi unit from a 3rd gen camaro/firebird or a 4x4 s10 from an autowrecker. Stick it in and leave it in all the time. Also the 4x4 s10 likely has 3.73 gears.
brian

woody31

Frequent Racer
prairiehotrodder said:
buy a cheap used posi unit from a 3rd gen camaro/firebird or a 4x4 s10 from an autowrecker. Stick it in and leave it in all the time. Also the 4x4 s10 likely has 3.73 gears.
brian

i have a set of 373 gears now,,but i need a carrier,,,and 3rd gens use 28 spline acxles..
i need a good used 3 series 26 spline carrier

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
How about a LOCKER? That's what they're for...

Tommy

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
You want something good! Get you a Richmond Powertrax No-Slip, better than clutches and screw type posi's. Talk with Jim from JD race.com all he builds is rear ends and says they are super strong and worth the money. I found mine on e-bay motors for 235.00 and thats the way to get one of them. Can't hurt to look on e-bay for one. You get one you will love it.

Attachments

• 0405121901.jpg
    0405121901.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,195
  • 0322121930.jpg
    0322121930.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,185

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts