GN 8.5" mini spool ??

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
My posi clutches are going. I was thinking going with a mini spool. I have an open carrier and was wanting to put a mini spool in it temporarily til I get a Moser or Strange rear.. Summit site says for dirt track only and others say not for hi hp use. Any Ideas?

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i had a mini spool. i'd suggest not using one. not sure if you can picture what i'm talking about here, but after only a short amount of use, the center blocks of the mini spool were trying to twist out of the side pieces. the sides of the channels that the center blocks fit in were bent out.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
BillySS said:
My posi clutches are going. I was thinking going with a mini spool. I have an open carrier and was wanting to put a mini spool in it temporarily til I get a Moser or Strange rear.. Summit site says for dirt track only and others say not for hi hp use. Any Ideas?

They are correct. A mini spool is a dirt (or low traction) only unit.

Tommy

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I don't know about the newer ones, but we used one years ago made by Lenco and it held up in my dad's car. He went 9.60's leaving off the trans brake at 2700 lbs. I think it had a 1.32 60' too. I am not crazy about putting that much power on just the cross shaft though. My dad ran on a tight budget and it was what he had.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
May be able to Shim the Clutches but, there aren't any parts available for the stock 8.5" Traction Lock Diff, Clutches, Spiders are all no longer available.
I do remember someone mentioning trimming down 8.875" 12-Bolt Clutches to fit the 8.5" a while back.
A new 30-Spline Posi & Axles would be the best option, Eaton or DuraGrip.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
No, the OEM used a 'Traction Lock' Posi with an S-spring in the center for preload. The parts don't interchange with the Eaton & DuraGrip copy which use Coil springs in center. :(
Good comparison Pics here >> http://rides.webshots.com/album/55410292AnMJrE courtesy of "ProStreet69" on HR.com
There're also Auburns & Gov Locks used in the 8.5".

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
i had always thought the 12 bolt and oem 8.5 shared the same clutch packs?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts