8.8 rear swap geometry

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
anyone have any negative input for the 8.8 ford rear swap. i'm concerned about the geometry of the arms.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
James Bond said:
anyone have any negative input for the 8.8 ford rear swap. i'm concerned about the geometry of the arms.

Exactly what you just said. The response seems to be "it seems to hook just fine" by those who do the swap, but I have yet to see any mention of short times. Sure as heck isn't the case on paper unless your car is dragging on the ground. The IC is waaaaay out in no-man's land.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
Depends on power of the car and ride height. Remember, these are shorter upper arms than a G-body which plays into it all. On a car out in KC with it all, it went a 1.27 60 ft. on 325's... but again, its on an 8 sec. car that sits about a 1.5" lower than stock w/ a good amount of power.

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
thanks for the reply guys. is this swap worth the effort???

as supe said, does anyone have any short time comparisons for something in the 9's or 10's.

TRZ, do you have an upper relocate kit for this? i've seen some extravagant fabs to use the original g-body uppers.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
We dont make anything to raise the rear mounts for these. I've seen it done, but never done it. The 8.8 in these cars is a good choice, but you will need to have a pretty low ride height to take advantage of it.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
How low are we talking? Mine sits pretty low.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
I always base the ride height off of the lower control arm frame bolt hole. For the 8.8 setup to work well you'll need that mount around 9 to 9.5 inches off the floor. Even here it will loctae the IC around 50 to 55 inches (if I remeber correctly)

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
It looks like youd be pretty close to that. The little tire in the back is kinda deceiving though.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts