9" tire on 8" rim

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
Has anyone ever tryed to hook around 850 horsepower on a 9" tire? I really don't see a 10.5 going under my car with out a little metal surgery and I'm really not in the mood to do anymore body work. I've got the frame notched, but I want the car sitting low enough to get the bottom bars parralel to the ground. You can see my progress over in the gallery section if pics will help see what I've got going on. Thanks for any input. L.T. Almost forgot, it's and 80 Malibu.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
It can be done... if you do some searching around the net look up Outlaw 8.5 racing..

They do it on a 8.5 wide tire.

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks, Draggin. I was pretty sure there were guys going faster than what my car will run on some pretty skinny little tires with these cars. I'm just to the point I'd rather have another hole drilled in my head than do anymore sheetmetal work.

alowerlevel

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2008
South Jersey 08109
Yeah I mean there's guys going mid 7's on 275 drag radials, and if your talking about a 28x9 slick(which is about the same size as a 275/60/15 drag radial) I'm pretty sure 850hp will be ok with the right suspension setup.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!