'99 Suburban water leak (major)

A

Anonymous

wow thats pretty nasty, and for a 99 model suburban. Man that thing is too new to be that sludgy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
:lol: I know, you can tell how a previous owner took care of it :roll: It has about 179,000 miles on it... I bet my '92 4.3 Sierra with 210,000 miles isn't this bad (took an '88 motor apart back in '01ish that wasn't near this bad with just as many miles)... my dad says he's taken 50+ year old tractors apart that were cleaner than this.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That last set of pics was after 3½ or so hours of working on it. We went back out shortly after my last post & worked on it again 'til about 20 minutes ago.
DSC01777.jpg

DSC01779.jpg

DSC01780.jpg

This is where we are currently. Bypass hose for the rear heater, intake plumbing, cap/rotor/plugs need to be done, along with the alternator bracket/alternator. The alt/bracket and plumbing aren't done yet because the meathead at the parts store gave us the wrong valve cover gaskets ](*,) (we didn't pay attention to the box either, so it's our fault too!). Gettin' the cap/rotor/plugs tomorrow, and it should be running by tomorrow evening :)

DSC01787.jpg

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Doob, You were supposed to change the oil at the turn of the century for Y2K. Looks like every Ford motor I took apart in the '70's and '80's. :D Lee

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
:roflback:

Both my dad & I about puke.gif when we saw the valley. One of these years (unless they trade up to a newer one) it'll probably come out for a rebuild/refresher. So far compression seems to be up on the cylinders (still plenty of power) and it doesn't really burn any oil from my understanding. It was using a little coolant (now we know why :p), and it has a couple other issues (not engine-related), but it's slowly making its way back to being mechanically competent :lol: When they got it, it had quite a few issues that have slowly been rectified from a previous life of neglect over the years :roll:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts