Air pans with cowl hoods

79Maliboo

Frequent Racer
Mar 11, 2010
Mount Laurel, NJ
BBC442 said:
Has anyone ever tried running one of Moroso Air Pans that they sell???

I ran one on my truck a few years back. It was ok. The seal they came with was aweful.

gearjammer

Weekend Racer
Feb 5, 2007
Troy, Michigan
Here is a pic of my friends air pan he fabed up. Take note that the cowl panel is in fact sealed off from the bottom side to keep the stock apperance.

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f20/skracing1/?action=view&current=DSC01529.jpg

Here is the one we were making for my Nova before I traded it, we are going to modify it to fit my malibu.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/gearjammerexpress/Nova%20Construction%20Pics/?action=view&current=AirPan004.jpg

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f276/gearjammerexpress/Nova%20Construction%20Pics/?action=view&current=AirPan005.jpg

Randy W

Frequent Racer
I know this is old but wanted to throw in some info from long ago. In 1970 I was running a '68 GTX with a .040 over 426 Hemi. The engine was built by Petty Enterprises (yep, that Petty). They had done some drag racing a few years before that and played with "ram air", cold air, etc... What Maurice told me and I found to be true was that the bigger the air box within reason, the better it worked. Round worked better than square edged, tall round worked the best.

Apr 16, 2011
I have had fist hand worikings of air pans and I never saw over a 1-2 MPH GAIN on any type of design,IMO a waste of time and money!Now a K&N stub stack is the best bolt on to get the air flow into the carb that I have found FWIW.
Jason

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Just a little tidbit- cowl hood or not, a flat pan like some that are shown above will never flow as much air as a drop base air cleaner. It's been proven over & over & over throughout the years. Any gain you may be seeing from the drop in intake air temp is most likely offset by the loss of flow from the flat pan as opposed to no airpan under your cowl hood wit ha good air cleaner.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Just a little tidbit- cowl hood or not, a flat pan like some that are shown above will never flow as much air as a drop base air cleaner. It's been proven over & over & over throughout the years. Any gain you may be seeing from the drop in intake air temp is most likely offset by the loss of flow from the flat pan as opposed to no airpan under your cowl hood with a good air cleaner.

Tommy

chevybowtie

Feb 24, 2011
LS6 tommy: Can you post some dyno tests or something? Or could you explain more as to why drop-base cleaners are better?? What about velocity stacks? or the K&N "stub stack" type inserts?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
chevybowtie said:
LS6 tommy: Can you post some dyno tests or something? Or could you explain more as to why drop-base cleaners are better?? What about velocity stacks? or the K&N "stub stack" type inserts?

Testing by GM/Ford/Chrysler over the years have proven that a drop base is better. Did you ever see a flat bottom filter can come form the factory on a stock performance model? Intake air flow follows the inside radius of a turn, so the curve of a drop base directs the air into the carb throat, just like the floor of an intake port. The worst option is no filter at all. Too small of a filter isn't a good choice either, the rule of thumb is minimum 14" x 3". (Believe it or not, a larger diameter is better than taller) Velocity stacks work best in open air. Stubs Stacks work just fine, but can sometimes be restrictive in a really short filter assembly.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts