Air pans with cowl hoods

cdeezy2003

Amateur Racer
Jul 15, 2007
xenia, ohio
air pan

and that describes me perfectly! imma have to get busy building one for my car. im flirtin with detonation real hard(14:1 iron head small block on a 250 fogger)

1QwikBu

Dragway Regular
Jul 6, 2003
olympia washington
the cowl area is a high pressure area if you run a cowl hood and dont have an air pan it causes turbulence under the hood air cannot excape through the cowl area but is forced into the engine bay, when running a cowl hood simply for clearance issues it is highly recommended to seal off the cowl area.

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
One more note that I didn't see mentioned is to insulate the underside of the airpan when possible. Your aluminum airpans can get quite warm from engine heat. There is a type of insulation that looks like silver bubble wrap that works well for this application. It will drop the temp of the air the carb sees by a little bit.

SS402

Weekend Racer
May 10, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg104/mad-dog9659/other%20pix/cowlinduction2.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg104/mad-dog9659/other%20pix/cowlinduction1.jpg

makurtz

Weekend Racer
I sealed-off the rear of the hood and fabricated an air pan system that connected to a scoop built behind the grill/over the core support. It was worth almost a tenth & 2 mph (1/4 mi) back when I ran high 9's with the 477 Factory Street combo. I don't have a photos of my ram-air system but here's a nice pic of a little back-fire I had with the 540 last year, (didn't hurt anything).

Attachments

• Back Fire.jpg
    Back Fire.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 5,024

SS402

Weekend Racer
May 10, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
Re:

1QwikBu said:
the cowl area is a high pressure area if you run a cowl hood and dont have an air pan it causes turbulence under the hood air cannot excape through the cowl area but is forced into the engine bay, when running a cowl hood simply for clearance issues it is highly recommended to seal off the cowl area.
I never thought about that and totally agree with you, very good observation..all the more reason for me to build a scoop tray for the 402.
I'm on that 'low coefficient of drag' theme and see how that would affect flow over the car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!