another wheel/tire question.

A

Anonymous

i'm sorry i'm sure this question is asked and asked again but going through the first few pages of threads i didn't find what i was looking for. i own an 81 malibu and i'm almost ready to put new wheels on there. (saving up for some cragar superstars.) but i need to know how big i can go on the back wheel without notching the frame or rubbing. i don't want to go too big, i'm not planning on drag racing, just cruising. i just want the back tires to offset the front enough so i get a nice stance. so i was hoping some of you guys could tell me your specs and show me some pics of what you have set up...
many thanks from a n00b :lol:

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
go to the FAQ section, there is a link in there on wheel and tire combos with pics, also a sticky on wheel and tire combos, just look a few threads above this one. btw, alot depends on the rear end, and no two cars are exactly the same, but a 15x8 with 3.5 inch backspace and 275 60 15 seems to be the max that anyone runs with stock width rear end. i have an older chevelle rear end and that would never fit mine, i run 4.5 inches of backspace and they will still rub on occasion. hope this helps.

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
check the tech section on the front page of this site, up at the top, go to
g-body wheel and tire fitment, lots of different combos there, some with pics. just realized this wasn't in FAQ as i said previously, sorry.

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
a 15x8 with 4.5" backspace also works very well; tends to tuck the tire into the wheelwell a little more than tom's 3.5s, so it comes down to what look you like better. and like tom said, a 275 60 15 works beautifully! here's mine...

090307_104511.jpg
120607_092711.jpg
120607_092811.jpg

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
Megabu, it seems as if your tires are bald...... :p

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts