Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I will concur about blower whine 8)

syclonefast

Daily Driver
Mar 3, 2004
bowling green ky
the tbi wont give you enough fuel for boost runs way to lean,and you run into a problem with fuel volume a port fuel injected set up is the best way to go if your wanting fuel injection.

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
I'm still running the original 34k miles 229 v6 in mine. the only thing I've changed is the exhaust, running stock manifolds I ran dual exhaust, 2.25 inch pipe with 40 series flowmaster mufflers. I was afraid of it being too loud, or sounding too much like a "bumblebee", but I was pleasantly surprised at both the quality of the sound and performance. it seems like it picked up maybe 20 hp. i haven't done anything to the car since last fall, but with gas prices going up, i am considering keeping the v6 for a while longer, so I'm interested in seeing what a 4bbl will do, also if i ever get it done, swapping in a 3.73 posi unit in the rear.
anyone else beefing up the 229, keep posting!

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
purecrazy said:
I'm still running the original 34k miles 229 v6 in mine. the only thing I've changed is the exhaust, running stock manifolds I ran dual exhaust, 2.25 inch pipe with 40 series flowmaster mufflers. I was afraid of it being too loud, or sounding too much like a "bumblebee", but I was pleasantly surprised at both the quality of the sound and performance. it seems like it picked up maybe 20 hp. i haven't done anything to the car since last fall, but with gas prices going up, i am considering keeping the v6 for a while longer, so I'm interested in seeing what a 4bbl will do, also if i ever get it done, swapping in a 3.73 posi unit in the rear.
anyone else beefing up the 229, keep posting!

Long tube hooker headers, a eddy 4bbl intake, and a cam , along with gearing change will wake it up nicely.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Be sure to stay on the small side with a carb... Holley has (or had) a cfm estimator on their site to give you a rough idea of what you'll need. I would probably stick with a cam that starts in the daily driver range (1,000-1,200 or so), otherwise it will probably be a little doggy.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
It would be cool to see a little roots blower between the valve covers on one of these things.

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
thanks for the advice...i was thinking about a 500 cfm edelbrock carb, but now thinking that may be too much...would just a cam boost performance that much with the stock heads and valves? if so, what lift/duration?

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Well it all depends on how far you want to take it and how much you want to spend.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts