B&M Mega Shifter console change

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I have a B&M Mega Shifter, that I would like to change the console to a lower profile. I want to keep the shifter, just get a shorter base, so I can move the seat further forward, hoping to be able to put the spare tire in the smuggler box. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the base for this shifter? Here's a picture of what it looks like now.
IMG_20210427_075228080.jpg

Last edited:

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
you can trim the BOTTOM of that console to shorten it.it's a common practice as not all floors/trans tunnels are shaped the same.

Last edited:

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you. I've never did that kind of thing before. Is there any place that I can learn from? About how much can be removed?

Last edited:

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
seeing as the shifter bolts to the floor and that tan box is just a cover,trimming the box won't effect the actual installed height of the shifter,you can remove as much as you want.the end result being that accordion boot will be opened up more than it is now.i wish i had a point of refrence for you but i don't.google triming mega shifter console and see what pops up.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
It's pretty much common sense, as Chris explains. You trim and test fit until you achieve desired results. You may also have to shim up the shifter base to get the proper position. It's not difficult.

Reactions: 78elk

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
After looking at it again,I don't think i can cut it enough to let the seat slide over it far enough to put the spare tire in. I think I will have to find a 4" centerline wheel for a spare. I appreciate your help.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Reading over this thread again, I see where you're going with this. First, the fact that it's an El Camino, your back and forth movement is limited. The spare tire is what limits the travel somewhat. I understand now. Also, is your spare tire a full size spare which kind of overfills the well? I guess that's why you're considering a narrower rim and tire...like a front runner.
I'm in a similar situation concerning a suitable spare that fits in the well and isn't too small in diameter. Of course, I'm taking about my wagon.
However, they're different situations.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Yes, I just wanted the spare to fit in the smuggler box. I maybe able to move the shifter forward. But not sure what changes I would have to make or if it move far enough. I appreciate everyone's help.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!