Bad Leak???

amgentry

Amateur Racer
Jan 13, 2009
Louisville Kentucky
I have a 350th in my Bu with a 3000 stall behind my 383. I only have about 3 miles on the car since I installed the motor and transmission, The transmission was rebuilt. My question is, after driving the car and getting it up to temp, I checked for leaks. None were found. I parked the car and about 30 minutes later I went out and made sure nothing was dripping. It was fine no leaks. I went out the next day to work on the car and there was a puddle of trans fluid under the car as big as a garbage can lid. I put the car on ramps and checked the pan the lines and dipstick tube because thats where the leak looked to have originated. Lines were tight, I snuged the pan bolts just a little and fired the car up. I went a couple miles brought it up to temp and then pulled it back into the garage and checked again. No leaks! I went back out to check about an hour later, still no leaks. This morning before work, another puddle as big as a garbage can lid!!
Whats up????

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
just a thought you may have nicked the seal when you were putting the converter in or the tailstock seal could be leaking. Was there a rubber gasket on the dipstick tube? i hope the case isnt cracked.

amgentry

Amateur Racer
Jan 13, 2009
Louisville Kentucky
I just called the guy who built the transmission. He said being that it leaks after the cooldown that it isn't anything that is leaking under pressure. He said he would bet a paycheck its the rubber boot around the dipstick tube because as the transmission cools the converter allows fluid to drain back into the pan and overflows it allowing fluid up into the dipstick tube. With it taking a few hours to start leaking he said thats about all it could be. I didn't replace the boot with a new one while installing the transmission so I bet thats what it is.
Whew, thats kinda a relief. I just couldn't understand it not leaking for a couple hours and then coming out like that!
You where definitely on the right track bowtie81!!
Thanks

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
Well, I just went through this a couple days ago, but my leak was coming out of the gear selector shaft. When the converter drained back in, it was coming up and out of the seal there. Sounds like yours is coming from the other side though.

A

Anonymous

Check the fluid level. If it isn't low, then assume it was overfull.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
Had that same problem with mine and it was the kick down cable. The gentleman who built the transmission used a "boot style" kick down and installed an o-ring instead if the "boot". Took off the pointless o-ring and installed the proper boot. Presto, no more trans leak!!! Check that for sure!!

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Mine does the same, now I have 3 things to check... I was thinking mine was due to the converter and transmission cooler draining back after sitting a couple days... Mine takes about two days before anything shows up on the floor.....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!