bellhousing question

swapmeetjunkbu

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2008
N. Iowa
There are two different chevy II bellhousings. #383 and #309. The #309 has a large trans input for the muncie and the #383 has a small input for a 3 speed trans. They will not work for a 168 tooth flywheel. I did the 4 speed conversion on the malibu. I had the g body bellhousing and 2 of the forks. They looked to rigged for me so I sold the 2 forks for $150.00 each and the bell housing for 75.00. Then I bought the lakewood. The lakewood works great. Just have to use the heavy duty truck ball stud. Just my 2 cents but think about how you may abuse the clutch set up. There isn't much between your foot and the clutch assembly on a stock bellhousing if the clutch decides to gernade.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i did want to run the lakewood and for the $$ some want for a stock set up etc might just do that i checked traceyperformance they have the 621 bells used he wanted $350 for it, another $50.00 can get a new lakewood . on the t-5 install in tech it says lakewood 15015 bell will work doesnt say what size flyw and works with lakewood fork i was also wondering if it would be a good idea to run a block plate was also thinking using an sfi fly i have a new non-sfi fly was gonna use .......bear in mind my car doesnt make it to the track i was going the stock set up route for easy install ........on the lakewood you have to set up a dial indicator for a tolerence on the crank for alignment as i understand . thanks

swapmeetjunkbu

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2008
N. Iowa
The lakewood will take any flywheel and it is drilled for multi pattern trans mounts. I used the 153 tooth light corvette flywheel and centerforce clutch. I like fast rpm's. I don't do 4500 rpm clutch dumps with 4 people in the car and it works for me. When it comes to the flywheel clutch combo make sure that the clutch is compatible with the flywheel. Some of the cheap race versions don't have enough clearence for the clutch plate springs. As far as lakewood alignment goes... I know some do and some don't but is always a good idea to follow installation instructions for safety sake.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I'm 99% positive the WONT work in our cars. Same problem as the stock bells, fork hits the floor for the 15000. For the 15015, I believe the trans pattern is tilted at a 17 degree angle so then the trans wont bolt in right. See link:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lakewood/620/15015/10002/-1

You can have Lakewood custom make you a bellhousing, I have spoken with them before about it, I never got a price though....I'm sure it'll be alot of $$$$$$.

swapmeetjunkbu

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2008
N. Iowa
I used the lakewood 15015 with straight fork and no mods no problems. You have to use a long ball stud or adjustable in the bellhousing for clearence. I tried the short , stock ball stud first and didn't have any movement on the fork. The bellhousing is drilled for both straight or tilted trans. It is like he said above, he did the homework and it works great.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi There,
Well that does look like a housing for a Chevy II as the fork hole is rather low,it would probably work but I bet you would have linkage alignment issues as well as exhaust clearance issues,at this time I have an old 60/70's aluminum one on my car,
I used the stock Malibu S-shaped throw out fork but had to notch the fork hole in the
housing a bit,it seems to work ok but I know it's not quite right,therefor I've been activly searching for a 15015 Lakewood used as they are getting rather pricey but that's a somewhat rare one and I'll probably have to buy a new one anyway,I've seen in several tech stories on this site that it will work just fine in a Malibu with the Lakewood HD fork,and you should locate any bellhousing that you install GM or not just so you know that it's right on,If you do decide to make some power do yourself a favor and go with a scattershield,I saw the aftermath of a clutch explosion years ago,a
guy I knew had a 69 Z-28 with an extra healthy 302 in it,one day the flywheel let loose,luckily it went mostly up and to the right and no one was riding shotgun,holes in the floor,damaged the heater box and a couple of peices in the right door panel,he bought a Lakewood the next day! Later,Dave

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
this is the one that i ran in my car for a long time with mechanical linkage. i now run a lakewood version that looks the same.

all003tm9.jpg

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
well i am starting to reconsider using a fact bell naturally personal injury is weighing heavily though i dont usually hammer on my car i dont want to take any chances i am throwing some power 383 ci the other things weighing on my mind is the $$$ to make it happen seeing i have to buy a transmission and the lakewood looks around $1500 looks to be awhile b 4 it happens i did however get lucky i found a fact fork which i will take to the grave . once again thanks for eveyones input on this subject

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts