Brake Line size... 3/16 or 1/4....

A

Anonymous

I'm going to buy a brake line coil kit from jegs but I am unsure of what size line my car has. Anyone have an idea? 3/16 or 1/4? 1984 4dr malibu.

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=Jegs_Direct&categoryId=26663&parentCategoryId=10143

Thanks,
Jim
Lupton, Michigan

John N

Top Fueler
Feb 12, 2005
South Jersey
jackstandracing.com
I think 1/4 to the rear and 3/16 to the front (probably wrong), but I thought they stopped making malibus in 83???

A

Anonymous

it's a 1981.... finger slipped on the keypad.

Mistah

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
www.mistahrecords.com
Jim,

I just completed the entire brake system on my car, and can offer a little advice.
Don't buy the Jeg's coil kit. Everything that you'll ever need to complete your system is available at your local Napa's. The hardline that you want to ask for is this new line that they carry. It's polycoated like a dark green color for corrosian protection, and is resistant to kinking. You can bend it by hand with no worries. No tubing bender required. In my opinion is the best thing since sliced bread. Line size is mostly 3/16" throughout, except from the front port on the master cylinder (rear brakes) to the factory proportioning valve - it's 1/4". I used an aftermarket prop valve with a 3/16th in and out, so I used a 1/4" to 3/16" adaptor to compensate.

Like I said before, I replaced my entire system front to back, not sure how much you plan to replace but here's a few tips that helped me.

1. Deside what you are going to replace.
Are you going to do a partial or full blown replacement? Is your car a
keeper or do you plan on selling it in the near future? This will
determine how much you're willing to spend.

2. Make a drawing of what you plan to do
I made a layout of all four wheels and the master cylinder, then
I used this to develope what materials I needed from Napa.
Brakeline, T-fittings, male flairs, 90* elbows, and line splicers (the
fittings that join two lengths of hardline together) are some of the
stuff you'll need. Get extra fittings/line to allow some fuggups without
having to run back to the store for more.

3. Only deal with one sales person
This will help you in the long run in developing a relationship with
someone who is familiar with what your project. Show him your outline
drawing and he'll be able to get what you need or offer suggetions
to help you. Don't forget to get his name so you can call and hook up
with him on the phone for any questions that may come up.

4. Get a quality flaring kit and tubing cutter
You will thank me for this one. Your parts man can help you with
this. If it's too much for your budget (70.00 +) then borrow one from
a buddy. DO NOT BUY THE JEG'S FLARING TOOL KIT! IT IS CRAP!!!!

5. Measure twice, and cut once..........

There you go. Remember on fittings that use a flair to seal don't require any sealer like teflon tape. Also, instead of teflon tape, use thread sealer with teflon in a tube. It's like liquid teflon tape, and is way better than regular teflon tape. It's the only one I use for all my pipe thread sealant needs. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Aloha,
Mistah

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
ihave 3/16" for the front and a 1/4" running to the tee hose on the rear.

A

Anonymous

Napa??? there still in business??? just kidding, but there is none for about 2-3 hours from me... all I have is Autozone (I will NOT goto, bunch of @$$holes there that only knows what there computer tells them, never get the right part from them) and a Autovalue store called West Branch Automotive (VERY High priced, But they know there stuff, all older guys) those are 15 mins away. 45 Mins away is a Bumper to Bumper auto parts store, But everytime I checked on parts there 3 times higher than autovalue, but anyway...

I plan on keeping the car, I want to do all the steel lines.

Mistah

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2005
Maui, Hawaii
www.mistahrecords.com
Sounds like all the sales guys here are somehow related to the sales guys there.....just under a different name. United Auto Parts, or NAPA is our main autoparts supplier here, though we do have a small Autozone and Checkers. Those guys are sorta screwed because almost all shops and corporate fleet go through NAPA, keeping long established business ties that go back 30-40 years, or more. The only reason to go to them other stores is they're open 'til 9pm. On Maui, you could visit all nine parts stores within two hrs. There are no speed shops here anymore, Jeg's and Summit killed them off years ago.

Hey good luck with your project, and holler if you need anything.

Aloha,
Mistah

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts