cam selection

doechsle

Mar 23, 2010
valve lash is the answer. you would be surprised how much duration the cam picks up with just .002 tighter lash. its a great tuning tool. be careful noto loosen ythe lash more than .003 or .004 than recommended from the manufacturer, because it can damage the lifters and possibly snap the head off a valve because you get off the openjing and closing ramps on the lobe. Tightning will only add duration and wont damage the engine. If the engine makes more power with more lash it is over cammed and vise versa. Oh by the way i did stay at a holiday inn express last night

gearjammer

Weekend Racer
Feb 5, 2007
Troy, Michigan
Click on this link http://www.buyracingparts.com/ and call Scott Brown owner of Competition Components he grinds a mean camshaft to your specs with the information he gets from you. The nova is mine on the 1st. page. Don't forget to tell Scotty that Phil from TJ's refered you.

k9 said:
When you are not using a dyno,how do you know if the cam you are using should be bigger,smaller,less or more duration after you go to the track?
I know some guys have access to multiple cams but what if you dont?

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
picking the right camshaft for your app requires knowning what your intended use is to be..Be it full stree use or drag or both...Also taking into the factor of what are your heads good for flow wise,how hard are you looking to turn the motor rpm wise.. dur. @.50 number help you decide where your want the power range and rpms to be at,,bigger the duration the higher the higher you'll turn...The shorter the duration the quicker the power will come in and go out just as quick..

bottlesempty

Amateur Racer
Apr 22, 2007
southern maine
Iagree with responses about valve lash its also helpful to have head flow data for me its talking to my neighbor JOe newsham ORSCAchamp & builder of BILLYDutkas drag radial car the baddest BU around suck on that ferrucci dont think so call himmon ititthat horse will eat that pepto mobile and sh*t a nice time slipl

StraubTech

Feb 6, 2013
If the customer can provide all the info needed for the combination the camshaft is black and white.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!