Car bumping tires on launch

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
I installed a set moroso trick springs in the rear. It lowered the car and I loved the stance. Unfortunately the car bumps the tires on launch. I am using a set of comp eng. rear shocks. I was told if I use a set of Strange single adj. shocks in the rear it would cure the problem. True? I would like to lower the car in the rear. Drag only! As you can see in the sig I have room to come down on the 28x10.50

A

Anonymous

Are you running Lift Bars or any kind of HD Control Arms and bushings on this build ? Drag 50/50 Shocks should be Good use . You also need 90/10 or 80/20 Front Shocks .

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Nothing special in the rear. SSM lowers and adj. uppers Comp shocks on the front also.

A

Anonymous

That is much better then the Stock set-up is . What Tires and Rim set up are you running ?

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Any chassis guys out there?

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
I know somebody can answer this: Will a set of strange shock solve this problem? I want to lower the rear without bumping the tire on lauch.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I assume you mean the tire hits the wheel well on bumps?

If so, then using shock valving (stiff bump) is not the correct way to solve the problem. IMO your using the shocks as a crutch to cover up the real issue which is either too big a wheel/tire combination and/or the wrong back spacing wheel tire.

IMO to get the car working as it should, you need to get the correct back space wheel & tire combination and mini-tub if needed to pull the tire under the body so there is no contact.

Using stiff shock bump to stop body contact will limit your on track tuning window with the shocks.

Just my opinion, but go to the root of the problem and eliminate the body contact issue what ever that may be, then put a good shock on to control the suspension velocity.

good luck
Todd

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
What Todd sez regarding the shock package......
I want to lower the rear without bumping the tire on lauch.

You just can't have everything....I couldn't use the trick springs in the rear because they are too low. Didn't even have to drive it to figure that out when I installed them.

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Will do. Thanks guys!

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
The post said he is rubbing the tire when the car launches. If that's true, I'm thinking the rear suspension is squatting in the back when he launches and the tire is hitting the wheel well. If the suspension is tuned correctly, the tire and frame should seperate and the tire should be nowhere near the wheel well.

Is this a launch or driving problem?

Is the car squatting when it launches or is there good seperation between the tire and frame?

If the car does not have an anti-roll bar or similar set up to resist twist, maybe the passenger side tire is the one making all the contact?

Just questions to consider.

Good Luck,
COPO 572

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts