Converting from single to dual exhaust...

A

Anonymous

I have done my homework on here, and I see that I can buy a new cross member for the transmission, or modify the one I have in order to fit up some dual exhaust. But I want to know if there is simple conversion. Is there really no car out there whose cross member would a be a direct bolt on with dual humps? Anyone know?

I've heard a lot of stuff converts from mid 80's monte carlos, but haven't been able to find any answers on that yet.

One other option I wanted to find out about...Has anyone ever left the cross member as is, but just added a few shims to the driver side to raise it up a tad. I noticed there is a good amount of room between the floor pan and the cross member, so it might be an option. I just didn't know if it would put the transmission at a weird angle, or what that might do???

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
Unless you have equipment/fabrication skills I would suggest you spend the money on a premade cross member with the exhaust notches already built in,delivered to your house UPS! These guys go to great lengths to make sure their product are "bolt in" and engineered to work for the specific application. Email them first with questions and your specific requirements.

I have never come across a factory "dual exhaust" g body cross member that allowed true dual pipes. They all were two into one arrangement that routed the exhaust through a catalytic converter then split for fake duals. Shimming the cross member heads down the road of shame and regrets!!

A muffler shop can build you a true dual exhaust running the drivers side pipe over towards the passenger (factory hump) but will cost $$$$ .

Buy it, bolt it in..... exhaust pipes fit , looks cool !! Money well spent to avoid the countless headaches that can develop!!! cool.gif

Happy exhausting!!!

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Before they started making affordable ($130 or so) cross-members. I have used some out of early to mid-70's B-body, big cars, Impala, LeSabre, Delta 88-98.

G body cars have a pretty wide frame. Then, I had to cut the actual mount off and weld it back on to fit the height and angle of the trans.

So, if you figured $50-$75 for a cross-member from a salvage, then making a bracket, some trial and error fitting, welding, drilling new holes in the frame. I bet you would spend a day or more if this was your first one, then you would need to have access torch and welder, maybe some metal laying around to fab stuff with...

I have got both the Jeg's and G-force cross members...and I have all the tools and supplies to make my own....if that helps.

I had a car ('78 Cutlass, 455 olds TH350) that had duals, it came with the exhaust bent under the cross member in a dip. It would drag on all sorts of stuff, and sucked to pull the cross member to work on the transmission.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If you're going to the work of welding, you could weld the stock crossmember.
DSC02351.jpg

I managed this (with a little brainstorming with my dad) without having to set up a jig. It bolted right in, no problemo :D

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i went with the iceman was $166.00 delivered for a th350 thing is a sweet piece and can run any exhaust you want i just had to paint it but went together as easy as any factory piece
summitexhaust004.jpg
summitexhaust003.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts