Couple of trans questions

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I just got done replacing the pan gasket and filter, and the trans still leaks. It seems like more towards the front right side. Before fluid covered everything from the TC shield back to my trans x-member. If the car sits for 15-20 minutes no leaks, but it just starts leaking when I'm not around and it makes it hard to diagnose. Tomorrow I'm gonna drop the shield and take a look to see if there is fluid on the inside, but where else could it be leaking from? Dipstick tube? Lines or detent cable? Trans leaks suck! :(

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Check the dipstick tube, I thought my pan gasket was leaking and wiped it off and tightened the bolts and then stuck my finger up around the dipstick tube and thats where it was coming from. Make sure the tube is in straight you can also wipe a little rtv sealant around the rubber seal and the tube. But if it ain't in there straight it'll leak. I just went through this 2 days ago!! Wagondude ](*,)

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
I went through somthing similar and my problem ended up being where the detent cable went in the case. The cable required a "boot Style" seal and it had a oring instead on it. Put the boot style on it and presto, no more leak.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Cool guys thanks for the input. I just got done doing the dipstuck tube seal and it was such a pain in the *ss with the trans in the car without taking off the x-member but I think it's good to go. I wiped a bunch of RTV sealer on the outside of the seal to seal the boot to the trans, and also wiped a bunch on the dipstick tube to help seal from tube to seal so I'm gonna say a short prayer and hope it doesn't leak haha.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts