cruck needs better handling

TorqueJunkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2007
East Tennessee
Can anyone help me out here? Its 100% stock right now, I would like for it to be a little lower and handle alot better. Body roll pwns me right now. If someone could point me in the right direction before I try to piece things together. I was thinking something along the lines of 2 inch drop spindles, front and rear sway bars, and a set of springs. This needs to be relatively cheap though. I really dont have the money to invest in a complete pro touring, coil-over, or air ride suspension.....yet. Car is still in dads name curse_sign.gif and I dont think I can get away with too much. Someday this car will get an LS2, T56, 12-bolt and a Vette brake conversion. Oh well enough dreaming so can anyone point me in the right direction? Again its an all stock suspension 79 El Camino with 15x8 Vette rally wheels on all 4 corners.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
for the front you could cut a coil off the springs, you'll get your 2" drop and cutting them stiffens the spring rate for better handling. If you go with 2" drop spindles your not stiffening the ride at all, no good for handling. Also, cutting the front springs is free, spindles are not. When I was on a budget and wanted my car to sit lower I cut a coil off the front springs, and used spring clamps on the rears (available at any auto parts store), it ended up costing me $35.00, my car was dropped and i was happy.

TorqueJunkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2007
East Tennessee
i had thought about that too but what about body roll, would sway bars help alot or is there another method

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
Firmer springs are your best bet. Look up some Moogs 5658? for a little drop and firmness. From there go with a hollow 36mm front sway from an F-body and a 1" rear sway bar. Those alone with help with the body roll. Tubular rear control arms firm things up too.

TorqueJunkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2007
East Tennessee
Tony_SS said:
Firmer springs are your best bet. Look up some Moogs 5658? for a little drop and firmness. From there go with a hollow 36mm front sway from an F-body and a 1" rear sway bar. Those alone with help with the body roll. Tubular rear control arms firm things up too.

thanks alot, Ill be doing some research on those peices. Any good places in particular to buy from?

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
thought you said you were on a budget, thats why i told you the cheapest way to achieve your goal of lowering the car, then you have money to spend elsewhere, like on better sway bars.

Buying a stiffer spring is a waste of money because when you cut them you lower the car and raise the spring tension, both of which help with body roll. Cut spring = stiffer/Cut spring = lower center of gravity.

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
TorqueJunkie said:
Tony_SS said:

thanks alot, Ill be doing some research on those peices. Any good places in particular to buy from?

OReillys or Summit for the Moogs. Craigslist or Ebay for the Swaybars.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts