Diy Headliner Help?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I recovered my original headliner in 1999 and it started to sag about 5 years later. I used 3M adhesive; I suppose the board may not have been clean enough? or else, that is about how long the glue or foam lasts?

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
.......that is about how long the glue or foam lasts?

That's probably the case Marc.

godlemmy

Nov 24, 2010
cleveland,oh
what city are you in? go to pullapart.com to find the closest yard to you. You can get a used one for cheap. Even if the ends are broken, just 'glass them back on. The only difference between the 78-80 and the 81-up's is the placement of the lap belt mount. They fit both ways. If you can get a couple,just experiment with them. It's got to be lots cheaper than $250

godlemmy

Nov 24, 2010
cleveland,oh
I've had good luck without the foam.Just brush the old foam off with a stiff brush. I also use felt cloth instead of the thin cloth since the glue doesn't bleed through. Once it's up you can hardly tell the difference from stock. The foam is the reason they fall down in the first place.

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
shvrolay said:
stomis said:
tiedyemike8 said:
Could you get a factory headliner board and cut a hole out of it? I have never worked with a sunroof, so I have no idea if that would work for you, just a thougt.

My basic plan was to do this but make the board myself. Problem with getting a factory one is they are crappy and deteriorate. If I go aftermarket I'm not spending $250 on an abs backed one just to cut a hole in it and possibly crack and ruin it...

I'll look into the rod style one...

I don't think it'll crack......this stuff (ABS) is pretty tuff - h3ll, the new headliner is shipped rolled up into a tube.

Just be advised.........my headliner was a PUI piece, and the fit was crappy. Looked like a drunken sailor (no offense intended) had trimmed the board before the material was glued onto it. I had that piece in and out of the car 3 or 4 times - ended up that the HL board was 1 inch too long!!
PUI was no help either. They stopped replying to my emails after I sent them pictures proving it was their product that was at fault.

No manufacturer bashing here.............just the facts/a heads-up.

Pretty
Useless
Interior

Randy W

Frequent Racer
My '67 has 10 year old PUI door panels and seat covers, never had a problem with the fit, quality or durability. I made my own headliner in the shop and got a Pontiac package tray because I liked the mesh better.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
'10 years' is the difference here. I think the newer quality control is lacking. I can only speak from experience with the headliners.

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
Randy W said:
My '67 has 10 year old PUI door panels and seat covers, never had a problem with the fit, quality or durability. I made my own headliner in the shop and got a Pontiac package tray because I liked the mesh better.

The best seat covers and door panels are the one you make yourself. PUI has been hit and miss from day 1.
seat cover
PUI1.jpg

headliner
PUI2.jpg

And I had more pics of the junk from them, but lost the on my old computer.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts