Diy Headliner Help?

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
t5montecarlo said:
Junior, what do you recommend as far as adhesive and material for a headliner (assume reusing the original fragile backer board)?

3M 8090 or 8088 work well.

Randy W

Frequent Racer
JuniorJ said:
Randy W said:
My '67 has 10 year old PUI door panels and seat covers, never had a problem with the fit, quality or durability. I made my own headliner in the shop and got a Pontiac package tray because I liked the mesh better.

The best seat covers and door panels are the one you make yourself. PUI has been hit and miss from day 1.
seat cover
PUI1.jpg

headliner
PUI2.jpg

And I had more pics of the junk from them, but lost the on my old computer.
Frankly I don't know many local shops that can do heat pressed seams to duplicate the factory look, maybe you have such equipment, you'd be the first local shop I've seen with it, but I don't know you or your shop. The seat cover appears to be a dropped stitch by the sewing machine that caused that, had it happen myself many times in nearly 40 years. The headliner picture you posted looks suspiciously like an old worn out factory unit.

Nobody should mistake relatively inexpensive aftermarket interiors' quality for that of custom made units using heavier gauge vinyls, better threads, etc... But for the original look and cost it's hard to beat the pre-made stuff. It isn't meant for daily drivers, it's meant for restorations. Use it for it's intended purpose and it's fine, take it out of it's intended environment and it isn't.
Another problem is, if you don't live near JJ or me or someone with the background, equipment and experience that guys like us have, you're not going to get great quality custom mades at any price. ;)

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
Randy W said:
JuniorJ said:
Randy W said:
My '67 has 10 year old PUI door panels and seat covers, never had a problem with the fit, quality or durability. I made my own headliner in the shop and got a Pontiac package tray because I liked the mesh better.

The best seat covers and door panels are the one you make yourself. PUI has been hit and miss from day 1.
seat cover
PUI1.jpg

headliner
PUI2.jpg

And I had more pics of the junk from them, but lost the on my old computer.
Frankly I don't know many local shops that can do heat pressed seams to duplicate the factory look, maybe you have such equipment, you'd be the first local shop I've seen with it, but I don't know you or your shop. The seat cover appears to be a dropped stitch by the sewing machine that caused that, had it happen myself many times in nearly 40 years. The headliner picture you posted looks suspiciously like an old worn out factory unit.

Nobody should mistake relatively inexpensive aftermarket interiors' quality for that of custom made units using heavier gauge vinyls, better threads, etc... But for the original look and cost it's hard to beat the pre-made stuff. It isn't meant for daily drivers, it's meant for restorations. Use it for it's intended purpose and it's fine, take it out of it's intended environment and it isn't.
Another problem is, if you don't live near JJ or me or someone with the background, equipment and experience that guys like us have, you're not going to get great quality custom mades at any price. ;)

The covers did have dropped stitches about every 10" all the way around, and the headliner was pulled from the box and installed by the car's owner.

I don't have the equipment to do heat pressing but do have one local that I could use, but I was forced out due to health reasons. So I am teaching my 2 son's and my daughter how to do all this, just as I was tought by my Great-Grandfather, Grandfather and father.

Randy W

Frequent Racer
I admire you for teaching your kids. I taught mine a lot of things and both worked with me as teens for very short periods, just long enough for me to convince them to get into a business with better pay and a clearer future. My son is a software/firmware engineer for 3Phoenix (defense contractor) and my daughter is asst. sales manager for a commercial lighting firm. Carrying on the legacy taught me by my mom, who at 87 still works in our shop 4-5 days a week just didn't seem practical in this day and time. I'm semi retired and when I quit, I'll lock the door and not look back.

godlemmy

Nov 24, 2010
cleveland,oh
t5montecarlo said:
tell me more about "felt cloth". Mine is in need of doing soon.
the 'felt cloth' is the same type material you used as a kid to make crafts at school. Joann fabrics sell it by the yard.it's easier to find a color that's close to your interior color.they also sell headliner material w/ the foam, but it's 2x more$. just make sure you use the good 3m spray glue. worth the extra$.the felt also doesn't let the glue bleed through like regular material.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts