Drag slick to frame clearance question.

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
What kind of clearance do i need i have 3/16th now and with this new setup the car twists on launch and rubs. So 3/16 is not enough and i plan on getting some spacers from s&w. What kind of clearance do you guys have?

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I've got a maybe 3/8 of an inch, and I'm running 28x10.5 in mt slicks on 3.5in backspaced weld wheels, and have no problems with rubbing. Although with the moroso springs i use an airbag on the pass side with a little air in it so that when the car launches and twists it won't rub!

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
You will see rubbing when making turns, etc as the sidewalls lay over some...especially when making the turns off the track to the return road.

With a bias ply tire, I prefer to keep 1/2" minimum. I've run radials tighter, but still have rub marks on the frame from both.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Please don't take this wrong but as per you're signature line you have a 12.994 sec car and you twist the suspension enough to make the car rub? It would seem something is definitely out of wack Springs or shocks? I see in you're photobucket album you have plenty of cage! I would tend to think you may want to look at the suspension on you're car. I also have a wagon although with a big block and have run 10.80's @ 121. and the suspension is fairly simple and leaves straight. My suspension consists of Qa1 single adjustable shocks all around {although I had regular CE drag shocks on earlier} moroso rear springs, Stock small block front springs with 2" drop spindles and iceman upper and lower control arms in the rear. My 60 ft's are usually in the low 1.50's but have had a couple of 1.49's and like I said I keep 1 air lift bag on the passanger side with about 10 lb's of air. Well I hope this helps Tom

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
i run no airbag or anything. My car is built to go fast but ran out of cash when time for motor came. And if you would actually read the posts maybe you would see
NEW SETUP in the first post.

This isnt a question on how to make it hook. It hooks great. If i wanted to stop the twist id buy an arb but instead am looking for the safe clearance for a slick.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts