Driveability Issues

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
First Im running a Edelbrock 600 carb on my mild sbc 350. It idles fine at 1k, when I put it in gear, its still dropping to 4-550 rpm. Ive tried my timing everywhere from 10 to 20 intial. Its currently at 17intial and about 32-34 all in 2500. A guy I know actually had it running good, both in gear and idle. I checked his work and to find out he had the initial at 30. there wasnt any pinging I could hear. Ive never heard pinging before though.

It seems the lower initial timing the choppier my idle is. Also the higher the intial timing, when put in gear the more rpm it holds even when the idle in park is set to 1k.

**NOT A VAC LEAK ANYWHERE.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
did you put a new cam in it? i had a similar problem where i took a couple of lobes off my cam during break-in (never used break in fluid) and i had to run my initial around that to get it to run decent. just a thought.

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
No, the same cam I've had. Its not any worn lobes on it though and Im sure of that.

malibub412

Nov 19, 2007
West Monroe, LA
Check the timing advance with the car at idle in gear and compare the timing when it is at idle in park. You might have an issue with the timing, either mechanical or vacuum. I could be a vacuum leak also, could even be in the vacuum advance can on the distributor.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
If your Cam has lots of Duration you will need Torque Converter with a higher stall to allow a lower idle speed and keep the vehicle from trying to creep forward in gear. Or you'll have to run more initial timing and put up with the creep.
Do you know the Cam's specs?? Dur. @.050" lift??

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts