Eaton Aubrn or detroit trutrac

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Well in most of the time I have been building and just plan disassembling the rears Almost every 12 bolt chevy EATON unit has never been totally ware out. Steel clutches last pretty long time. So I really would not concern myself with the rebuildable so much unless you intented on driving the car 15,000 miles a year...LOL. Just making sure you understand what wears a posi out.

Friction type units like Auburn and Eatons wear EVERY TIME you turn a corner on the street.... each time you shift your transmission the clutches in the transmission are also wearing and the clutch and fly wheel are wear against each other each time they are engaged, SO... everything will wear OUT just depends on you and your driving.

If you tool around town slow never do a burn out the clutches and cones are wearing the most. burnouts really do not put wear on the clutches if your going straight....think about it, both wheels are locked and spinning at the same rate...clutches are NOT moving...they are just spinning around for the ride in the posi case locked. UNTIL you turn at a slow rate of speed again do the clutches slide when the side gear has to turn at a different rate then the opposite side gear in the posi case So the next time you do a burn out just think of it as saving your clutches or cones in the unit....LOL :) dancin_banana.gif

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
monzaz said:
So the next time you do a burn out just think of it as saving your clutches or cones in the unit....LOL :) dancin_banana.gif

That's why I got a GEARED posi (Detroit TruTrac), NO CLUTCHES TO EVER wear out :D

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
No but when the gears ware the unit is junk too. EVERYTHING wears...trust me. As stated in another post ...the true trac unit run very hot from the gear to gear transitions. Also the true trac posi units I have noticed do not supply equal lock as a traditional friction preloaded type unit does. the unit will sometime walk left right left right on the burn out depending on the intial weight transfer of the car...just the way the unit delivers the bias from tire to tire. If your straight your good to go. if you turn it goes into single wheel peel sometimes...AGAIN it all depends on the road and conditions of force on the unit.

All in all any posi is better than a open diff for performance...I will agree with that. :D

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I should have phrased things differently. I kind of said it wrong. I didn't mean that LSD rears aren't delivering power to both wheels all the time under power or that they're "open" or "off" except under power, I meant the axles are never "locked". There's always some torque split between the axles, the tire with more traction gets more torque. That's what torque biasing is. Only certain gear diffs, spools & lockers deliver 50/50 split all the time.

Tommy

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
my auburn unit must of burnt out because only 1 tire spins now.
I'm looking into either a detroit locker or a spool.
Someone said the locker acts just like a spool so i should just get it, but another fella said the locker acts fine on the street vs's a spool.

On yellowbullet they stated you have to send the auburn into them because they don't make rebuildable parts, but they rebuild it for a fee.

I'm making to much power to be playing around. i need something strong.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Don't forget about Richmond PowerTrax. It is a locker that fits inside an open carrier and can be installed without removing the carrier.

I had one, but did not like it. It added lash to the drive train and did not work well with my 4 speed. With an automatic, it would probably work just fine.

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
I had Richmond Lock-rights(what they used to be called) in my Samurai and half the time I would involuntarily change lanes on the 1-2 shift. I now drag race with a Gleason/Torson posi and wondered about it allowing one tire to turn a bit before full engagement. My 60's now with suspension tuning and every bolt-on known to man is not quite a xerox machine but very close so I believe my fears were unfounded.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
onefastermonte85 said:
On yellowbullet they stated you have to send the auburn into them because they don't make rebuildable parts, but they rebuild it for a fee.

Auburn diffs are rebuildable. I've rebuilt them. If you bust a spider gear or one of the cone gears, you need a new matched set. Everything else is replaceable.Lookieheer:

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/data/Differential_Service_Kit.pdf

Tommy

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
your not really rebuilding the LSD / Posi with those parts...Your just fixing it. They do not sell the CONES which is what wears into the carrier housing The side gears are attached to the cones (these are the bigger gears not spider/pinion shaft gears which are smaller)

Believe me I have tried to get Auburn to sell the cones as i have custom ideas I want to try BUT I have to buy complete posi unit and intermingle parts to do so making it very ridiculously priced to customize stuff....THANKS for working with us ....NOT!

You can recondition an Auburn unit about ONCE. We machine the cones and and reshim the side gears to bring back the spec between the spider gear mesh. Jim

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
i'm going with a eaton detroit locker with my current 31 spline axles.
When i can save up some more $$
i'll get the 3.25 case, the 35spline locker and 35 spline strange axles.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts