Efficient & good sounding exhaust?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
80ECLT said:
H pipe or x pipe will help torque, and make the sound a little more consistant, you will lose some resonation. A good thing with the V6's. They usually resonate pretty bad from my experiences.
X2! Talk about a drone at highway speeds #-o

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
when i had my 267 the thing would drone like crazy with true duals and no h pipe.. It wasnt loud at idle, but it was annoying at hwy speeds. drove me mad.
I have a h pipe now and cant wait to fire up the new engine.

mhamilton

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2006
North Carolina
I know it's completely opposite of the original question, but does anyone else think the OE exhaust is too noisy with the V6?

I have a stock replacement system from a few years ago. It's quiet in the car, but if I walk around back, I can hear the tail pipe chugging. I'm guessing that's because there's just the one muffler, and no resonator. My Impala stock exhuast has mufflers in the center, and resonators at the outlets, so nothing but a quiet hiss.

A

Anonymous

I think the stock V6 exhaust is plenty quiet, even at highway speeds...and beyond. It does sound diff at the tail pipe but I don't hear that in the car even with the windows down.

Trickbu

malibus~most~wanted

Dragway Regular
Apr 6, 2008
does an H or X pipe have to be in the middle or can it be more towards the front or rear? my duals on my malibu run right next to each other down the p/s side then the left pipe jumps over to the d/s right after the rear seats then ends at the axel.if i add an h pipe in the middle it will only be maybe 4-5 inches long. would that be okay?

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
idealy it should be just after the transmission brace on our chassis. But I have seen guys put h pipes pretty much anywhere between the headers and the mufflers...

malibus~most~wanted

Dragway Regular
Apr 6, 2008
that would probably be the best place for mine. the pipes are closest together right there and wouldnt need much pipe. to bad nobody makes a T fitting for something like that

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
jegs and summit make universal h pipe t fittings. thats what i have in mine, the one from summit. it was like 30 bucks..

malibus~most~wanted

Dragway Regular
Apr 6, 2008
thanks for that info. i may just install the H pipe myself. a couple clamps here and there

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts