elcamino spinning

Chief11885

Amateur Racer
Jun 17, 2006
Kansas
I have an 81 elcamino that i can't get a good 60ft time out of. The best that i have gotten to date is a 1.6973 and i think that it should be better than that. I purchased some double adjustable upper and lower control arms set to factory length. Equipped with a sway bar and some qa1s. The best past is 11.9033@ 114.56. I think that if i can get my 60ft down i will be at maybe 11.60 or better. I don't know if springs would help or not i was thinking about the trick springs but they aren't recommended with a rear sway bar. Here is a Video or my car maybe you can see something that i can't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmezVBtKc2A thanks Josh

464elcamino

Amateur Racer
Mar 28, 2010
alton illinois
Im in the same boat with my elco , I am getting ready to install an anti roll bar from dm products this weekend Its a nice bar ans fairly cheap . Plus its free shipping on them this month woot. http://d-mproducts.com

Mike Allred

Amateur Racer
Feb 4, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
Mine spun badly until I put a glide in it. I have the same rear setup you currently have. Up front I have Moroso's lightest trick spring and Lakewood 90/10 shocks. The front sits on the bump stops for maximum travel. Hooks 95% of the time. Oh yeah, Hoosier 30x9 radial slicks are a must for my elky.

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
i was on here not too long ago with the same problem it looks like to me the front is unloading like mine did. what shocks do you have on the rear? the biggest thing that made mine hook was the del-a-lum busing in the controll arms and trick spings (some say they dont work) and the rear qa1 shocks set soft. my front comes up easy and stays up all the way down the track. Im no suspension expert but that worked best for my ride.

Chief11885

Amateur Racer
Jun 17, 2006
Kansas
I have the comp enginnering shocks in the front set 90/10 with QA1s in the back what do you have yours set on. I want to get some rear springs to get the rear to set a little lower but i can't go with the trick springs because i am running a rear sway bar. What springs are you guys running on the back of your cars.

Mike Allred

Amateur Racer
Feb 4, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
I still have stock rear springs on mine. Single biggest help to me was installing a fat rear sway bar. An anti-rotation bar is planned in the near future.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Hello Everyone
There is a lot that can come into play when it comes to traction performance. You are all on the right line a Drag Bar will allow you to transfer a equal amount of weight threw out the rear end. Allowing the vehicle to leave straighter. But another suggestion for you would be a set of Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets. What they do they will allow you to adjust the LCA more parallel pushing the rear into the ground. Therefore increasing your traction performance and eliminating any wheel hop issues. Below is a link to show you what I am explaining.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_62&products_id=68&zenid=tm3lf6318dhohfqho2pbm6mo12

But if you are running a factory style sway bar and want to maintain great ride clearance. Then I would suggest going with a lift bar combination. The bars have reinforced offset holes for the sway bar so it will maintain great ground clearance.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_72&products_id=83&zenid=tm3lf6318dhohfqho2pbm6mo12

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad :D

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Whats the psi in the rear tires?
I was running 10 in mine and worked well when the tires were new but after a while not so much. Went up to 13 all is well again.

Chief11885

Amateur Racer
Jun 17, 2006
Kansas
i was running 17psi in the rear tires i had a guy tell me that the rear tires were hitting hard and beings that they are not screwed he said that if i went down any more they would probably spin in the rim. I have heard that for the MT et steets that 20 lbs is good so i am thinking of trying that next time out.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts