electrical connector gurus

DamageInc85

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2004
Deland Fl
Im looking for a butt splice,or preferably a connector to go from two 10 ga wires to 1.I need this for a friends off road truck.Hes gonna run 2 realys to feed his fuel pump,so if one relay goes bad hes got a backup.A weatherpack or metri pack coonector would be nice but they dont have enough room for 2 wires on one terminal.Ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
This is one thing you can do.

Run a short piece from each relay, and then run one wire back to the fuel pump. The wires can be joined like a Y. At the Y, you need something you can crimp the three 10 guage wires together and then solder them together. It will take a fair amount of heat to solder the wires, and solder will wick up the copper under the insulation. Where the solder stops wicking, this is the place where the wire could break if it sees any vibration. So add a number of layers of shrink sleeving over and well past the joint to give it some strain relief, and support the wire so it won't vibrate.

Also, actuate the relays separately. If you run both relays all the time, you will never know if one fails. So if both fail, you would be no better off then if you had just one.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
The easiest and quickest way would probably be to solder the 3 pieces together and heat shrink them. Otherwise, check out this catalog: http://terminalsupplyco.com/pdfviewer/default.asp?chapter=terminals , particularly pages 16 and 21. The step down but splice could be used. Use one for 8ga/10ga and put two 10ga ends in the 8ga side of the terminal. Page 21 has spade connector adapters.
I'm not sure if they could sell to you directly, but they could definitely direct you to a retailer. 800-989-9632

DamageInc85

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2004
Deland Fl
D*m,I looked through TSC's online and my print catalog and didnt see them curse_sign.gif .The 8-10 stepdown is exctly what I need.Ive bought from them before and they do sell direct. Thanks for the second set of eyes.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
You bet. Good luck with the project.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You could also use a terminal strip of sorts, even if it's just a single. You could find a factory one on the firewall of TBI-powered C/K trucks behind the little plastic cover for the fuel pump relay, fuses, etc.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!