Engine swap? What would you do?

thumper

Weekend Racer
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I bought a 87 Monte Carlo that I am using for a high performance street (second car) play toy. The 305 in it has a bent valve and messed piston from something in the cylinder.

I am trying to do this on a budget now as I still need to get a rear end (plans for an ford 8. 8)

I can get a running Vortec 350 for 600-700 at a junkyard

I can get basically a reman 350 with 1 year warranty and a small performance cam for 900(300 core added)

Or I could get a short block some used vortec heads and make the swap as I believe the 305 (90's roller motor) has self aligning.

My big question to everyone would you spend the money for the vortec have decent power now but know to get more in the future that basically you have to buy new heads/intake

Or Do I buy a older 350 now and have less power but when the urge hits pop for some new heads and exceed the vortec but still have same intake.

I also was looking into a single turbo as I good with stuff and used to have a fast turbo talon plus worked on several.
Would you turbo vortec heads?

Just seeing how everyone feels. I was going to pick up a 350 at a junkyard (u pull it type) and just rering and bearing it but weighing my options now.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
buy a good running used 454 for 6-800 and put in a cam and intake. Then when you want to go really fast you have the foundation for a 496.
brian

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
prairiehotrodder said:
buy a good running used 454 for 6-800 and put in a cam and intake. Then when you want to go really fast you have the foundation for a 496.
brian

This man speaks the truth!

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Indeed, a BBC will be the easiest power maker. There is a slightly older Car Craft build where a 454 with oval ports made 450hp/550lb.ft. for around $2,600. The link below is slightly cheaper, and about 50 hp/tq less.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1207_chevrolet_454_blue_collar_build/index.html
For just street with no handling emphasis/drags I say BBC all the way. If you want it to handle I'd say a Vortec engine with a low-lift cam and either stock springs or some Z28 type springs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-08-432-8/

My guess with that and an otherwise stock Vortec engine will be 400-420hp... the heads will need a little work or beehive springs to work with it though.

thumper

Weekend Racer
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The Big block is an option I didnt look at. Not sure how I feel about it with the stock trans (200r4) and stock (after engine swap to be replaced) rear end. It is funny you mention that cam because that is the exact cam Comp recommends for my car if I had a vortec. So much to think about. The big block swap I am thinking needs a new radiator, headers and prolly about it unless I have a mount issue but I would imagine mounts are easy to get.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts