Engine swap? What would you do?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Oh I have a 4-speed. I would only put an auto in if I was racing it or I had a major reason to not go with a stick.

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
i put a big block in my bu.........alot of fun.......if you are not set on the 200-4r,the th400 would bolt right in on the same mount location........how ever i have built the 200-4r's that have survived behind some pretty wild big blocks.......got a connection in cali that supplies real good parts for the over drives....( i.e kryo treated input shafts,sun shells,hd planets,high cap. clutch packs and so on).......converters would be a little more pricey though.......just some food for thought..........

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I have a nice 454 in my car. I think I have around $3k total into. Everything was rebuilt or new. It's nothing special, 781 heads, 10:1 CR, mild Sealed power cam. Has a nice idle, but not a fender shaker. Just enough to make it sound good and turn some heads. It has manifolds off a truck, made like they were for the car. I have a 4-speed in mine, not many options for headers. Also didn't want to deal with bottoming out. I have 2 1/2" all the way, H pipe and fake Flo's.

Car has plenty of power even with 3.08 gears. First gear in the Saggy could be a little more, but not bad. Still can do 70+ without the engine screaming.

A big block will drop right in. Use the stock clam shells off the 305, use manifolds, low profile valve covers, and an aluminum rad can be had for under $200. Mine is just a driver, will never see a drag strip (other than the parking lot) but I like big blocks. Everybody has a small block.....

thumper

Weekend Racer
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
What cam is in your big block? I think I can pick an 80's 454 up for fairly cheap what cam with everyone put in it? I want it to sound a little rough if I could and I also bought a 2500 stall converter how would that work out with a big block as it is lower rpms/torque motor. I like the vortec engine but everyone has one and the cost maybe more than a big block due to roller cam and intial cost.

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I look on Craigslist all the time and seeing some on there pretty cheap. Granted they will need a rebuild, but the way gas prices are, not sure who is buying them. Also with the LS motors out there, becoming very popular swaps. If I ever get a decent paying job again, that will be my next project.

I can't remember the cam specs, but I can get them. It was only a little over .500" lift, and has a split profile. Sounds really good now that I have the Flo's on it. I have a small video of it idling on an engine stand, but can't get it to download here.

thumper

Weekend Racer
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Okay so I have a good line on a 454 and I am thinking of putting a summit 1301 cam and a performer intake on it. What about the power steering brackets and alternator, it is a later model serp belt system. What about the starter? I have a 2500 stall torque converter should I throw it in or just use the stock? I am thinking use it to get more into the torque range of the big block. Also if I am throwing a cam in it does everyone rec. new valve springs>

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I wouldn't put a Summit cam/lifters in there, one and only time I used that junk it took my heads out and cracked the block. Spend a couple extra bucks and get anything but that. Just my .02....

I used small block truck serpentine on mine. Whole hell of alot easier to find than car stuff. Looks better too. Any time you change a cam to anything other than stock, you should get matching valve springs. IIRC, SB and BB starters are the same. Use a mini starter, sounds cool..:)

thumper

Weekend Racer
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Picked up a running 454 with a six month warranty (void after I install cam) for 427.90 out the door! Looks like I am stuffing a big block in it. I heard 2455 hooker headers work but I would if summit's version or hedman's a-body headers work as they are smaller tubes. 1 3/4 and someone said should fit a little better

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts