Exhaust?

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I'm about to tackle the exhaust system for my Mailbu LS1 install (with the stock LS exhaust manifolds) and I'm looking for ideas and suggestion. Do I do it myself with a kit from Pypes or someone else (suggestions?) or do I take it to someone to have it done? If I should take it to someone, any suggestions in northern NJ?

I'm looking to keep the cats as I want to try to get it through NJ emission inspection without going the QQ plate (classic car) route. Also, to pass inspection in NJ I've been told that I can't do dual cats, I have to go with a single cat since the car came with a single cat, which kinda sucks. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Has anyone in NJ passed inspection with a dual cats on a car that originally had one cat?

Thanks,
Scott

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
That's weird that they say you can't have two cats? You would think the dual cat setup would be better on top of the fact that you've got a more "eco friendly" FI engine that gets better fuel economy than the original equipment.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Doesn't matter if it is more "eco friendly" or not. Supposedly all the emission equipment has to be set up as it would have from the factory and pass that year's emissions (yes, that would include the air pump, and the evap canister, etc...). I've also been told that if they really wanted to get technical you're also not allowed to put in a different size engine than came from the factory. So all those big blocks and 5.7's wouldn't pass even if they did pass emissions for that year (I think there was police package Malibu that came with a 350, so I guess that would count).

I'm just trying to get the real story and get some find out what other people did for their exhaust and their experience in getting through NJ emissions inspection.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Yes, that is true about the cats. You cannot change to 2 if it only came with 1 (federal law, not NJ law).

When I was in NJ, they challenged the 350 in my wagon and threatened to test it as a 350, so I said "go ahead". It still passed, but I also had all emissions and computer intact.

I have a free used low-mileage hi-flo cat for an MCSS, if you buy the bolts. It would bolt to a cat-back system, but you would need to fabricate the front y-pipe.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Well that stinks that i'll have to put a single cat on it if I want to pass inspection...oh well.

Thanks for the offer on the cat, I may take you up on it. I'm going to do some more research and get some more feed back on what other people did.

I saw that Pypes makes a cat back system for a single cat. Now I just need the cat forward.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket Y-pipe (with or without a cat) for a LS1 G-body? Or should I have to have someone make it up? I would pefer aftermarket as the last time I had someone make up a custom Y, it only lasted a couple of years befor it rusted open.

Hey how about a Dual In/Dual Out cat? Does that even exist? Then I would have a single cat and it would also function as a X-pipe. :D

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If you can have it privately inspected, speak to the shop and see what their opinion is. I do know some people who have put cats on long-tube headers, and still passed inspection. I have a feeling they are looking more to see if they exist rather than to see if you have too many.

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
why dont you want qq plates? worst case you can go for the "specialty vehicle" registration but it has to be less than 25 years old. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/collector_vehicles.htm

i would put 2 cats on it, bring it to a private shop and you'd be fine.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I don't want QQ plates as I want to drive the car, not be limited on where to go and on the amount of miles I can put on it in a year.

There is a shop near me that passed my 89 Chevy pick up after it failed state emissions. When I picked it up, it was right where I parked it when I dropped it off, just with a new sitcker. hmm.... I'll stop by there and see what they say.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
What kind of mileage are you limited to if you had classic car plates?

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
6,000 miles over two years and supposedly you can only drive to and from shows and events.

From the NJ MVC web site;
"There are nearly 51,000 historic vehicles registered in the State of New Jersey. Vehicles considered historic are at least 25 years old and are used only for exhibition and educational purposes by the owners. Such purposes may include classic car shows and parades. The license plates, which are sold for $44 per set, feature the QQ designation in the character combination."

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts