Exhaust?

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Good to know, as that was my biggest concern in going with the long tube headers. Whose headers did you wind up going with and did they have provisions for the O2 sensor?

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
i used the BRP kit with their mounts and headers. the headers dont have provisions for sensors but i just welded bungs in the pipe right after the header

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Yea, I went with the BRP mounts also. Saved a lot of headache. Which BRP headers did you go with? There are 5 versions on thier web site. BTW, those headers are not cheap! (But nothing on this project has been so far....)

What did you do for the rest of the exhaust? From the pics in your LS swap topic, it looks like you went with the Pypes system. Did you? and was there enough room to put the cats between the headers and the X-pipe? Did you have to put in reducers?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks!

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
i went with the smaller primary header, 1 3/4 i think, 3 inch collector. the rest of the exhaust is as follows: 3inch to 2.5 inch flowmaster reducers, 2.5inch summit universal x-pipe kit, dynomax ultraflo offset intet/center oulet mufflers and GN tailpipes from Mandrel bending soulutions(most of this stuff i had, and my boy made some killer hangers and had to chop up the tailpies to get them to fit properly). a pypes kit would work tho lol

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Sounds like you put it together with stuff you had lying around. Unfortunatly I don't have any exhaust parts hanging around, I'm going to have to buy it all.

If I do go with the long tube headers and the Pypes system, I'm concerned about having enough room between the headers and the X-pipe to fit the reducers and cats. And before I dump almost $1500 into this exhuaust (670 headers, 250 (125x2) cats, 380 exhaust, etc.), I want to make sure it all fits.

Has anyone done a similar system? Suggestions? Oh...and what is the difference between a Ceramic substrate cat and a Metallic substrate cat?

Thanks

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
the collector on the header is pretty long, you could cut it down shorter if you needed to. you could put 2 small cats on it and build the Xpipe after that(the X should be as close to the collectors as possible but sometimes its not feasible). to save some space you could use a cat with a 3inch inlet and 2.5 inch outlet and slip it on the colletor

i had my car up on the lift tonight so i took a pic of the layout so you can see it a little better
DSC02675.jpg

DSC02674.jpg

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks for the pics! It gives me a much better idea on the spacing and how you did it. I like that you welded the O2 bung on the reducer so you didn't have to mess up the headers.

I've been looking for cats and I even found a couple with the O2 provision. But in checking Summit, Jegs, etc, I'm having a hard time finding a 3 in/2.5 out cat with or without the O2 bung. I really don't think there will be enough room for the reducer and the cat.

lt4malibu

Pro Stocker
Feb 22, 2004
NJ
you could have them send you the collectors un-coated so you can weld the o2 bungs in

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts