ford housing ends

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
anyone ever intall them on a gm rear end? i'm just curious to know if you still use the same flange to flange measurement if you're installing these ends instead of regular gm ends.

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
I used Ford ends on my 12 bolt. I got them from Strange Engineering, also got my axles from Strange. Add 5.665" to housing width to get axle flange to axle flange width. As you probably know that also eliminates the C-clips.

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
Here's mine.
100_2068.jpg

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
did you buy the lca mounts or take them off of something else? did you do all the welding? just wondering if there is any special proceedure in welding anything to the axle tubes....other than gutting the rear and cleaning it, of course.

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
LCA mounts were cut off a 7.5 rear and material was added so I could add 2 more holes for the LCA's. Nothing special about the welds except all of the brackets were welded before putting on the housing ends, in case any warping took place, the ends would still be in alignment. We did skip around on the welds so as not to get to much heat in one place. A jig was used to align the housing ends. A friend with a 220 v. mig welder welded it for me.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
one last question (i think)...how did you know where to weld the lca brackets in terms of angle? i guess if you have adjustable lowers, it wouldn't matter too much right?

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
I don't have adjustable lower arms, so I connected the arms to the frame and hoisted the rear end housing in place being very careful to locate it properly, side to side , front to back and at the correct ride height and angle. I then connected the brackets to the arms and positioned them on the axle tubes and tacked them in place. Did a lot of checking to make sure the rear end housing was in the correct position before welding. Also the brackets had to be ground out some to fit the 3" axle tubes on the 12 bolt.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
thanks again for the info. i'm just checking different options. turns out, the "12 bolt" that i had available is acutally a 10 bolt. i could still use it...just not sure i want to.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts