Frame Notching

Ryan_310

Amateur Racer
Nov 28, 2010
Billings, MT
So i do not know if this is the right part to put this but i thought i would give it a go. I am going to notch my frame if i can find the right help. I was wondering if anyone knows of a write-up on here or any step by step directions on how to successfully complete a semi normal frame notch. Anything you can advise me on would be great. Thank you.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I used one of those sliding framing squares and set it at 1 3/4" and used it as a depth gage.I then cut that section out of the car. After I had it out I re set the square to 1 1/2" and cut the peace that I just removed from the car, leaving a 1/4" "skin" that I welded back to were the piece was just removed from. ( made it look more stock IMO)
I then got some 1' square tubing and cut it at different angles to match the inside of the frame and welded it solid all along the inside of the frame for some re enforcement.
Be sure to cut it length wise long enough to clear the tire. I did mine from the body bolt behind the tire to just past the wheel well in front of the tire.
I used a cut off wheel on most with some saw saw use.( i can cut straighter with the wheel)

(Copied)

Ryan_310

Amateur Racer
Nov 28, 2010
Billings, MT
Can you send me pictures of this device that you speak of and also if you took any pictures of your progress when you did the notch please?

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
8Eh00d5GA3Q2kb-Ix1hg9ymCM-KN0RVr_JZ0SlvgfHQDrertzU3oCzcL6UsOhvBThPQNUyzd2Mk8ROjC2mJjJ6vO7RN9MgAl9S6Sz3kx1OewE0SQXU1BOQVsyVw-OtzA9ojjKQ0drpeqaowahkXJnTr7pkJzFtaDQFdCdUklGw

Adjustable Combination Square 12"

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
found this to be a pretty helpful step by step instruction. I varied from this a little bit but thought it kept me from getting off track, when I did mine.

http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2008/iii_8-frame-1.html

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts