Notching the frame for bigger tire ?

malibu mouse

Amateur Racer
Feb 15, 2009
St louis,Mo
The bu is going in a different direction now .I run a 275-60-15 on it now.With the frame notched what size meat can i fit under it.I am going to have some decent horsepower but really dont want to tub it .Will the frame notch be enough or will it need to be tubbed even a mini tub ?

Dan

Dragway Regular
Jul 27, 2003
Chitown Suburbs
I run low 9's on a 28x10.5 Stiff on my Camaro. What sort of engine do you plan on running?

Are you looking to bracket race?

If you are looking for consistency, then put as big of a tire as you can on there and run a pooch gear like a 3:50 or 3:73 so that it would be able to dead-hook on an ice rink ;)

Dan

Dragway Regular
Jul 27, 2003
Chitown Suburbs
I have not hacked into my Malibu, but I think a lot of these guys run a 28x10.5 with a notch to the seam in the frame.

If you go to Yellow Bullet, there is a car on there with 325-50's that has an awesome frame notch job (with some tub work too, I'd imagine).

What do you plan on doing with this car? With the weight loss of the AL block, you should not kill the tires as quickly as I do on my car (3500# and a "few" more cubic inches), but on marginal tracks, you will appreciate every additional fraction of an inch of section width you can get.

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
My frame is notched, but the tubs are stock. We beat the tub back with a hammer for clearance. I run a 15x10 rim with 5.5 inch backspace and M/T ET Street size 28x12.5 tire. It rubs sometimes around corners or going into or out of the driveway. Having done this, I will say it is not worth doing the frame notch without doing the tubs as well. If you do a full notch and a mini tub, you "should" be able to fit a 325 50 or a 315 60 (The latter being a pretty tight fit) radial, or a 29.5x10.5 should fit. Do plenty of research, and settle on the tire/rim you want to run then go from there.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts