Front coil overs in gbody cutlass..no travel..help!!!

70BOWTIE

Daily Driver
Jun 9, 2015
Have a 1985 olds cutlass with the Trz upper and lower arms. Has strange single adjustable front shocks...started with 375# front springs..no weight transfer at the track..changed to 400# springs..does the same as the 375# springs..question is..the car sits on the rubber jounce bumper with either set of springs...tried a set of 325# springs tonight, does the same thing..no travel..it's like driving in a parking lot on 2 by 4.. Very bumpy..any suggestions.... ](*,)

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Do you have travel if you disconnect the shocks?

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Don't hold me to this for your cutlass,but i know for the same year Regal or Grand National the compressed height of the shocks should be 8.83", extended height 13.58 which gives you 4.75" of shock stroke. Hope this helps you out.

Craig

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
What reference points are used to establish stock height? I'm 25.5in from center wheel well to ground. Roughly 6in from center wheel well to rim lip of 15in rim.

70BOWTIE

Daily Driver
Jun 9, 2015
I know these aren't gas charged style shocks, but shouldn't there be some kind of rebound when car is sitting still...maybe I'm thinking wrong...but car still sits on jounce bumpers...

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
70BOWTIE said:
Supe said:
as if I disconnect the top nut on the stud..haven't tried that...

While you shouldn't be resting on the bump stops, you should still be getting some sort of transfer. If you take the shock out of the equation, you should be able to verify if there is something else in your front suspension that is binding.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Supe said:
70BOWTIE said:
Supe said:
as if I disconnect the top nut on the stud..haven't tried that...

While you shouldn't be resting on the bump stops, you should still be getting some sort of transfer. If you take the shock out of the equation, you should be able to verify if there is something else in your front suspension that is binding.

^ This.

True ride height is with the spring holding the car. The shock is unnecessary to determine that. Theoretically when the car is idling down the road you should have equal distance +/- 10% travel available up and down. i.e. the suspension should be centered between the bump stops in bump and rebound.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!