how fast has any on been with a 12 bolt ?

no, not you Robert the original dude who asked the question

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
10.50's with Moser c clip eliminators, axles, spool, and girdled cover

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
My car has been 9.43 @ 141 with a 1.289 60' with a strong 12 bolt. All Mark Williams parts.

I did find the housing bent last summer though and had to relocate the housing ends to correct. If it happens again I'll be forced to do a different housing.

To give you an idea, Alex Vrettos runs a drag radial '95 Mustang which still has the 8.8 rear which is dimensionally near identical to a 12 bolt. This car runs 7.3x @ 200 mph weighing in excess of 3400 lbs.

Lots of choices in rears, I like the 12 bolt for less weight than 9" and also less parasitic loss running N/A. Stock Ford housings aren't very strong, so with high HP and heavier car your forced to go with a chromoly sheetmetal housing to have it hold up.

BTW, the 9" housing, 12 bolt center section isn't the hot lick for heavier cars. The center section is weak and known to break on higher HP/heavier rides. it was mainly designed for light weight cars or comp eliminator stuff, not heavy full body car that are heavy.

racecar77 said:
10.5 terror said:
1/4 times and i build my own stuff so im not callin m/w

O.K Big baller, if you're such an expert, what are you asking us for? :(

LOL!

Donovan BBC 2,800 pound car 8.77 1/4 mile....

12 bolt spool and Moser axles... all day long!

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
9second80BU said:
10secBu said:
My car has been 9.43 @ 141 with a 1.289 60' with a strong 12 bolt. All Mark Williams parts.

also less parasitic loss running N/A.

That is an old wives tale....

There have been members on several boards who removed GM rears for a 9" rears and slowed down. Same gear ratio.

The loss has more to do with suspension than parasitic loss.

For example:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0304_9_inch_12_bolt_rearend_comparison/index.html

2to 3% is peanuts...

A Dana 60 is a boat anchor...but is very strong

When I was working at American axle we used to chucke at the 9inch loss.....they spent millions on testing...bottom like is the 10 bolt and 12 were cheap to build.

Hiway

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 9, 2005
Enola Arkansas
3%, cheaper, and lighter. Sounds like good reasons to me...esp. for a N/A car

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts