How many miles before a rebuild.

lostsrevenge

Weekend Racer
Dec 29, 2007
Davison MI
If I am getting a used 5.3 how many miles should it go before rebuild. Has 170k on it now and 90% of is highway time. 5% City and 5% towing a boat. thoughts?

A

Anonymous

My only thought is how does someone determine 90/5/5 percent?

What do they consider highway? Why is the engine for sale? Why was it pulled out?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Drive the sucker :D My dad's '03 has about 170k on it and it's still goin' strong. I'd say if it's still running good, put it in & let it eat. Worse case scenario you'll have to pull it out for maybe rings, but that's only if it fails a leakdown test (I'm kinda doubtful on it failing right now personally). It's got an easy 20-30k I think.

lostsrevenge

Weekend Racer
Dec 29, 2007
Davison MI
My Sister wrecked my Dad's 02 Silverado and 90% of the time he was driving 60miles one way to work Mon-Fri on a high way. Not sale given, lol. I orginaly planed for a BBC but it's hard to turn down a free LSx based engine.

bgblockelcamino

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2008
my dropout has 205k on it. when i did heads cam the cylinders still looked like new. put about a thousand hard miles on it already and still running strong. has 35psi oil pressure at idle when hot. so if you think necessary to rebuild go ahead. but i would just use what you have as a stepping stone. once in car and running. if it blows up you can pick up another bottom end cheap at that point since you have everything else

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
these engines, if taken care of, can last 250 to 300k easily. I have seen many times. You could rebuilt it for cheap right now, or wait about 50k miles and rebuild it, your not drag racing it so you should be good

lostsrevenge

Weekend Racer
Dec 29, 2007
Davison MI
That was a thought, I like it better because I dont have to spend any more money. The other thought was it's out of the car right now and easier to work on.

A

Anonymous

You didn't say what you were going to do with it. Just DD, a little street hot-rodding, take it to the strip?

If you are going to just use it as a DD and it had good oil pressure and didn't burn any oil, then just put it in. If anything more than DD, I'd want to compression test and look at the bearings or just go ahead and freshen it up while it's out.

If the wreck could have hurt the engine, then that is a whole other scenario.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts