How to determine what rear springs I have?

1978AL

Amateur Racer
Jul 21, 2013
FLINT MICHIGAN
no way for me to know if their stock, slightly lowered, raised etc, without a base to go by, but what would that be? is there a measurement that can be taken somewhere?..the drivers side on my bu sets about an inch`ish lower then the passenger side...so I assume that spring is sagging..unless someone mismatched a set somewhere along the way...which I doubt..

anyway, I`d like to eventually replace the rear springs so at least she sets even..(fronts also would be the right way I guess, so does anyone know how/where to measure/confirm whats in it now?)..

almost forgot..whats the going rate these days for a street runner..(occasionally raced...when safe to do so..LOL)
150lbs??

P.S..affordable is needed..i`m a bit poor, and plan on being so for a while..LOL

Thanks..

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
No way to know what the springs are just by looking at them. Well, you can tell progressive rate springs from constant rate springs (are the coils evenly spaced?).... but that's about it from a visual inspection.

If it's lower on one side than the other the first thing I would do is swap them left to right. If the lean follows the spring, you know what the problem is. If it doesn't.... then you gotta figure out what's really causing the problem.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Damon said:
If it's lower on one side than the other the first thing I would do is swap them left to right. If the lean follows the spring, you know what the problem is. If it doesn't.... then you gotta figure out what's really causing the problem.

This is what I would do. Sometimes the front springs being bad will cause this too since they carry more load.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts