How to properly set the preload.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I installed a set of the following suspension parts on my car and it said youneed to set the preload just right or it can cause the pparts not to perform at there best. Well, first let me say that my car usuall never really runs a consistent sixty. It seems that it is always all over the place time wise. I run anywahere form a 1.75 to a 1.90 in the sixty. I have a set of Mickey Thompson Street E.T 28 x 12.50 x 15 tire. I have a limited slip in with 3.73 gears and a 3400 rpm coonverter. I hope that this helps with the equation. Now for the following parts i put on. I nstalled a set of the UMI double adjustable upper control arms and a set of UMI single adjustable lower control arms. I put in a set of 90/10 Competition Engineering shocks and a set of the 60/40 rear Competition shocks on the rear. I have Moroso trick front and rear springs and one air bag in the right rear spring. I don't have an anti roll bar or sway bar in the rear. I do however take out the fron sway bar bolts at the track for maximum weight transfer which makes it stick real hard and i have even had the front tires off the ground 2 times now, even with a crappy sixty foot time. I have not been able to set the pinion angle yet either that could be part of the problem i am having. I just thought that with all the parts i have installed my sixty would have dropped a tenth or two or am i wrong. Sorry for being long just wanted to get it all out there fo all to analyze. ](*,) :-k

crd89stang

Dragway Regular
Jun 19, 2005
attleboro ma
i would def install a sway bar of some type in the rear. check out baseline suspensions website tons of good info on there he is a new sponser

ky malibu

Weekend Racer
Aug 22, 2007
Ledbetter,kentucky
The limited slip rearend is most of your problem. Posi and an anti roll bar will fix your problems. Try about 2 or 3 neg on your pinion angle.

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
I have never preloaded my cars,always neutral....but usually it is just a simple adjustment of
an upper control arm...depending on which way your car is pulling towards

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
Well, the car seems to hook for the most part. I have lately seen in the vids that it is spinning about 1-2 rotations on the line then it hooks pretty good. I have had the tires off the deck twice. I am running 18 psi in the tires. I can't remember what the air bag psi is right now. I mean it leaves hard and strong but it needs to be faster out of the hole. I wonder if more converter like a 4000 or slightly larger would help me? Is all my parts a good selection for my weekend strip runs and occasional street cruises?

Stangboy

Dragway Regular
Jan 27, 2004
Ky
Replies...?

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
ky malibu said:
The limited slip rearend is most of your problem. Posi and an anti roll bar will fix your problems. Try about 2 or 3 neg on your pinion angle.

I think you're confusing limited slip with single track. Posi (short for Positraction) is a term used for Chevrolet's limited slip diff.

87montess

Amateur Racer
Jul 10, 2007
PHILLY
take the air out of the bag it does not work with the trick springs and 13psi in the tires i have all most the same set up and i get 1.5 60 foots all day the air bag made it 1.7 60s and that is low 1.5 i got a arb in know i am hopping for 1.4 60s

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
if its transferring and hooking then suspension work wont make it faster. more converter. just remember as you go upin converter you are going to find a point where the suspension needs to work. my car used to hook all day and run 11.70's. when i went to a 4500 stall converter to put the motor in the powerband the suspension problems really showed themselves. took me a whole summer to get it sortedout but now it runs consistent 1.48 - 1.53 60 foots on radials when im running 11 teens on motor. on a 50 shot ive gone 1.40 10.71

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!