kickdown cable question

malibujames

Daily Driver
Jan 4, 2009
New Carlisle Ohio
i bought a fine jewel (80 malibu)a few months ago. the more i look under it the more i cry. the speedo and milage dont roll over cant figure that out so its a slow rebuild for this one. my guestion is its got a 400 turbo in it with no kickdown cable whats the difference from the 350 turbo and this one. does anyone know what i need to get or part numbers to help me out

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
The TH350 uses a Detent Cable for kickdown/passing gear.
The TH400 uses an electrical switch on the Carb or Accellerator Pedal under the Dash. >> http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1003&bih=619&q=th400+kickdown+switch&gbv=2&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=TH400+

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Agreed with above. Electrical vs. cable-actuated downshift.

Is the speedo cable even connected on the driver's side of the trans? If so you might want to check to see if the cable is broken internally. The stock speedo/odo is very reliable. They rarely fail internally.

Whether the internal speedo calibration gearing in the transimission is correct for your gears/tires is anybody's guess. But it should still register on the speedo/odo if the cable between them is in good shape.

malibujames

Daily Driver
Jan 4, 2009
New Carlisle Ohio
it is conected to the drivers side on the trans but the speedo and miles aint turning over so my guess would be its not hooked up at the speedo or the cable is bad. i have a cable that came from a turbo 350 car would that work?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Yes, if it's long enough it should work.
The Speedo gears could also be damaged, the Teeth or where the Cable fits in the end of the Driven gear.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
SSedan64 said:
Yes, if it's long enough it should work.
The Speedo gears could also be damaged, the Teeth or where the Cable fits in the end of the Driven gear.

I would check that..If anyone has ever been inside that TH400, they could of easily not gotten the driven gear clipped back on correctly..I know I destroyed 2 of them when I re-did my trans a year ago..drove me crazy, speedo would work for about 10 minutes than just cut out...Could of also stripped the drive gear where the cable attaches..they are just little plastic things, could of easily been broken.

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Being a low-buck home-gamer type of guy I often find myself faced with these weirdo kinda problems. A little throught and you can usually find a way of narrowing down the problem area.

A junkyard cable screwed on but with the other end hanging out you can see if the cable inside is turning. You really don't need the whole thing- just the end that screws into the transmission. Rear end on jack stands, pop it in gear and let it spin the rear tires a while while you watch the cable. If it turns, you know the problem is upstream (cable broken internally or bad speedo cluster). If not, you know it's inside the transmission.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts