Throttle Cable/ transmission kickdown bracket

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
I swapped my original 305 for a 350 and put a Edelbrock 650 cfm carburetor w/ electric choke on the new engine. The bracket that was on there previously doesn't match up with the new one. There are two holes the matched up to the carb mounting bolts on the back, but don't line up with the new one. It looks like I could drill out a hole to make it line up, but I am wondering if there is a better option. What do people normally do in this scenario? Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Spencer

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
are you referring to the bracket that holds the throttle/kick down cables?

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
Yes, the bracket that goes along the back side of the carb. On the stock engine it lines up with the back two bolts on the carb. For the new carb the bracket doesn't line up. This is the first engine swap I've done, so I'm not real savvy.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
there's a lot to choose from when it comes to these brackets.it's important to steer away from the thin cheaper ones that are universal.they have a tendency to bend and that makes for odd problems like the carb not opening up all the way/transmission cable not getting pulled etc etc. they're usually chrome an have to much adjustment in the wrong place.I'm a holley guy but my advise is go on summit racing and start looking at throttle brackets that are designed FOR Edelbrocks-and Carter AFB, that's your style carb.it's a good place to start,you'll get an idea of what style/color you'd like to use,also if you're running an automatic make sure it has provisions for that cable as well.

Reactions: 78elk

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
I found some other posts from a few years ago and I see this is a common problem people run into. I'll keep plugging along with the assembly for now -getting all the front accessories on and lined up, and look at it when I have everything else on. I do have an automatic th350. My neighbor's dad used to build engines and has done these a hundred times, so I'll pick his brain when I see him next. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Reactions: melloelky

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
This style was on my SBC before I switched to the new GM crate motor. It worked really well but wouldnt line up with the Vorted intake. I cut it up when I made the new setup.

slpfeife9651

Daily Driver
Jun 23, 2009
Rochester, MN
This style was on my SBC before I switched to the new GM crate motor. It worked really well but wouldnt line up with the Vorted intake. I cut it up when I made the new setup.
This looks like it would work. So this would bolt to the top of the intake, next to the distributer, correct?

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
This looks like it would work. So this would bolt to the top of the intake, next to the distributer, correct?
Sorry about the long time to reply. I havent been checking MR lately. That bracket picks up twp of the intake manifold bolts towards the back of the motor. I couldnt use it due to the fact the Vortec manifold has a different bolt pattern and theyre flat instead of being on an angle

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!