Lets talk 9".....again.

novadragr

Daily Driver
Aug 17, 2009
Elmore, Alabama
Went through all 20 pages, browsing them, and didnt really see what I was looking for, so figured it was a good time for a new post. I acquired a 9" housing today, and Im pretty sure its out of a truck, but it appears to be big bearing, etc etc, so I should have a good base. Bad thing is, the car is one place, and the rear will be built in another. I plan on pulling the 7.5" out and trying to plasma cut the LCA mounts and the spring mounts off, then getting a set of ears to weld up to the 9". Question is, what should the length of the axle be flange to flange? And with that measurment, is that inside or outside? I have heard the 52 or 53" mark, but didnt know where that was measured from exactly. Also, I have read that to center the housing on some vehicles, one tube is longer than the other. Is that the same for the g body? Final question, to complete the rearend, I will be setting up the 3rd member as well. Whats a good starting point for a gear? I will have a BBC, but closer to stock than anything, and a TH400 transmission behind it. I dont want to blow the tires off the car when I launch the thing, but dont need a pooch either. I have a set of 5.14s laying around, but Im thinking with a tall deck 454, that might be wayyyy too much gear. Any guidance?

On a note, I know there are QP rears out there, etc etc., but Im doing a true budget/junkyard budget car, other than safety features, such as the cage and such, eventhough I will be bending and welding that myself too, just will use new tubing for that. I want to just have my hands in the entire project. Not to mention, the pride involved saying that I fabbed it all myself. Kind of a junkyard dog project, ya know?

Thanks for the help!

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
This should help:
http://www.maliburacing.com/faq.html#rearend_swap

novadragr

Daily Driver
Aug 17, 2009
Elmore, Alabama
That solves the question of housing length, kinda. Wonder if the measurement is outside to outside or inside to inside, or if the difference will matter much. Next big question is, are the tubes on a 9" mounted under a G body, both the same length or if one is longer than the other? I appreciate that link bowtie, I will continue to reference it, as it has some other things Im looking at too.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
For gear selection..is this going to be a drag only car? A street car?..you need to figure out where the car is going to spend most of its time. driving around town with 4.56's will be fun for a day or two, but thats about it.. My big block wagon has a TH400 bolted to it and a QP 9 inch with 350 gears and 235/60/15 tires.. I turn 3K at 60 and 4k at 80...haven't tracked the car yet so I don't know what it runs but it puts you back in the seat if you lay into it at a light.

novadragr

Daily Driver
Aug 17, 2009
Elmore, Alabama
I was laying in bed last night and realized I wasn't clear on the use of the car. Its going to be strip only. Gutted, caged, etc etc. Im not narrowing at this time, as I see some stock width cars hooking well, and the extra expense isn't needed. Im thinking I might be trading or selling my 5.14s for something higher, as the combo might blow the tires clean off the car...lol

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Too bad you don't live closer !!!

Ford 9" fit for GM G-Body - $550 (Chesterfield)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-05-04, 1:36PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased this about 8 yrs ago & never used it in my car. I believe it's 4.10 gear.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2362234633

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts