line lock install - before or after Prop valve?

A

Anonymous

I'm in the process of installing a manual brake master cylinder setup (83 Malibu wagon). Can I install the linelock ahead of the proportioning valve? Or do I have to install after the valve like it says in the "linelock install" article in the Tech section? Thanks.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
depends on the brake system, but for g body's with stock systems, the instructions for my TCI line lock said to install it after the P/V. plug one of the ports off, run the other to the line lock, one out of the LL to a T fitting, then one line to each caliper.

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
You have to install it after the prop valve. Otherwise it will lock all 4 wheels. I made the mistake of doin it myself after somebody told me you installed it before the valve.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
After the prop valve.

DSCF1773.jpg

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I installed mine before the prop valve I may have screwed up. #-o . Gonna check it out and see if all my wheels are locking, they don't seem to be. Its gonna suck to have to re do it :roll:

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
Ed Cannon said:
I installed mine before the prop valve I may have screwed up. #-o . Gonna check it out and see if all my wheels are locking, they don't seem to be. Its gonna suck to have to re do it :roll:

I would double check it. Because it seemed to be working fine for me til my dad asked if i checked to see if the rears were locking to, and when I jacked it up they def were. And the guy that told me how to hook mine up blew a rear a few weeks later so you figure it out...

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
ive always done it beffore the prop valve. it wont lock the rears. if that was the case why would you need two lines from the master. the two circuits are seperated they dont ever cross each other.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Mine is before the prop valve as It was easier to do that way,as far as I can tell it doesn't lock up the back brakes as I was doing some line lock
testing (burnoffs) In my driveway the other day and that seemed to work ok,the only weird thing that it does is make the brake warning light come on untill after the line lock is released and you hit the brake pedal,the reason it's doing this is because the prop valve also has a low pressure warning sender in it in case you blow a brake line or something,so when you key the line lock and let off the brake pedal it's showing low pressure on the rear side of the sender and turning the light on,also when you do hit the brake pedal mine at least has a bit more travel till the light goes off,I'll admit I never read the instructions untill after I installed it but you should always go by manufacturer instructions if you want things to be right,I'll be changing mine sometime soon and will probably also hook up the auxillary brake light switch so when the line lock is activated the brake lights are on,shouldn't be a big deal,also the NHRA rulebook calls for the line lock to be after the prop valve,I read that on here somewhere is why I started researching the situation,anyway that's my opinion!!!
Later,KillerDave

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
mine is hooked up before the prop valve. i read this post went outside and checked the operation. the line lock does not hold the rear brakes on in this configuration.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!