ls or 406 ?

406 SHAKER

Weekend Racer
Jan 18, 2008
PORTLAND TN
im going to get a 05 or newer with low miles . then the madness begins everyone on here has swayed me in that direction . i was already headed the 6.0 route you all answered some questions for me and now i feel better about the decision . thanks to all of you

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
The only thing you've got to worry about is the DBW (drive by wire) setup, but I believe that there are ways around this. If you decide to go this route, the only thing extra you'll need is the pedal with the setup, but most people are selling these with the wiring harness' now. I beleive 03 and older, most have the cable drive on theirs....but again, you can change that to a cable driven as well.

And yes, you really want to do this swap, fuel injection FTW!

Steed

Daily Driver
Feb 8, 2009
blubaldmontess said:
A general breakdown, depends on how far you want to go with this, but search ebay for the l92, basically the new version the the lq9...say for the motor and transmission 3k, an upgraded cam 400-500 right? rework the harness for 300-400 as well, unless you buy the 20 dollar book to do it yourself? Fuel pump, lines, ect about 300, and 300 for your crossmember and your motor mounts. Oh, and you can get the kick ### BRP headers (top o the line eh...) for around 700, ceramic coated and work like a dream. I only got mid length, and they work well, but full potential, might as well get the full length.

Sounds easy enough, really it is alot easier to work on, as you can get the EFILive or other programs and do a working scan of the system, watch where your fuel is lean and is too much, I mean, its f**kin bad man, I love it most days, some days not so much, but yeah. What i've got in fuel mileage more than makes up for what I spent doing the swap. That and all the pieces you take off, say you take off the a/c condenser, sell it for 150-200 bucks, the old engine, a few hundred here and there. Again, you'd be amazed, think about this, there are 8-9 second daily driver lsx motor cars weighin in at 4k lbs...example here:

friends car, yes its turbo, conservative tune, this is before a few more mods but jerry's car is the hottness, and yeah, he drives it around on pump gas (best on race gas I believe is 9.3x or somethign like that):
http://mssftw.com/videos/SD-MSS-Cablebandit.wmv

And Dave, stock suspension truck, turbo, best pas has been...10.8x I believe, and this is his work truck, daily driver/hauler of crap truck...and on the weekends he beats the #### outta it:
http://mssftw.com/videos/SD-quicksilverado-11-35-sdr-9-4-09.wmv

Hey Man,

I was watching the vid of the Trans Am, and I noticed that he was at Steele, AL during some of it. Is it a local car? I saw the GA plates.... I am about an hour away from Steele. I got there a pretty good bit and I have never seen it run.

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
his nickname is cablebandit, and there is another one named HunterSS (he may have changed it since getting his T/A)

They are another board I play on, mostly west GA, and yes they run at silver dollar and steele. Actually last weekend, I believe he set a new personal best, as after his second run, they told him he couldn't run anymroe without a chute...lol

go to http://www.musclecar-evolution.com and you'll find most of the guys. They do track rentals 2-3 times a year. They also did one in the summer of this year, well spring/summer and it was a two day rental, 30 dollars to race all weekend :D Anyway, not to clog up the thread, if you want anymore info, pm me.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
blubaldmontess said:
his nickname is cablebandit, and there is another one named HunterSS (he may have changed it since getting his T/A)

They are another board I play on, mostly west GA, and yes they run at silver dollar and steele. Actually last weekend, I believe he set a new personal best, as after his second run, they told him he couldn't run anymroe without a chute...lol

go to http://www.musclecar-evolution.com and you'll find most of the guys. They do track rentals 2-3 times a year. They also did one in the summer of this year, well spring/summer and it was a two day rental, 30 dollars to race all weekend :D Anyway, not to clog up the thread, if you want anymore info, pm me.
I know HunterSS (not personaly)he is on one of the local formes. He test at Brainard, at the TN,GA line. Its a bad ride!

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Steed said:
Hey Man,

I was watching the vid of the Trans Am, and I noticed that he was at Steele, AL during some of it. Is it a local car? I saw the GA plates.... I am about an hour away from Steele. I got there a pretty good bit and I have never seen it run.
Did you go to the ORSCA race last weekend?

kyhunter89

Dragway Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Kentucky
lq4 or lq9 depending on which you find first and cheaper, upgrade rod bolts while its out, install a cam (have one custom ground, i wouldn't get a hot cam, ls6, zo6 etc), 60# injectors (stock injectors are same from 4.8 to 6.0 and theyre about maxed out) and keep the efi and run a 200 shot brand X kit and should have a well built, cheap, quick car.

406 SHAKER

Weekend Racer
Jan 18, 2008
PORTLAND TN
ky hunter 89 thanks for the info . if you were talking to me . im not sure about the fuel injection .the wiring harness makes me nervous but we will half to see how that goes .

kyhunter89

Dragway Regular
Mar 7, 2008
Kentucky
if i was to do it i'd try to find a 6.0 4l80e combo already together. 20+ mpg alot better than the t400 and would keep the revs down on the road.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts