LS vs 406

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Why is there even a question anymore about conventional SBC/BBC vs LS engines? In almost every measurable sense, the LS is superior. Block strength, cylinder head design, valve angle, intake design, etc... GM would be still using the conventional engines if that weren't the case. I own 3 Malibus, one with a mild (400hp) SBC, one with a serious BBC (585hp), and an LS (525hp). While I have yet to run the LS, I have been in a LOT of LS powered cars. My LS Malibu will probably outrun my BBC Malibu, get twice the mpg, while having less compression, a smoother idle, and longer life. I have been in a 200K mile LS1 powered turbo Camaro that ran mid 10's. That alone convinced me the LS is the way to go. Still have the utmost respect for the conventional engines, and that's what I actually gravitate toward when attending car shows, but the power that's possible with an LS engine is second to none. Well, wait till the NEW LT1's become available from junkyards!!!

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
I guess being I have a block already it's prob still gonna be less BS to get it up and rolling. Sure I will prob blow a couple grand but I can get it in there with no major issues and still have decent power for several years. I'm thinking stock Crack maybe stock rods and vortec setup

albertaborn

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2015
It is hard to ignore all the ls setups out there though. How much over engine cost are we talking about to get a 6.0l or 5.3 setup in a malibu? Assuming a lack of junk yards around

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I purchased my iron 6.0L out of an 02 Escalade for $1000. Sold the truck intake, fuel rail and injectors, water pump, alternator and fan for a total of $300. So, a $700 engine. Labor and parts at the machine shop cost about $2800, NOT including my cam/lifters. Stock pistons, but new rings were installed, align honed, all new bearings, Melling oil pump, etc, etc, etc. Suffice it to say it's all new, except for pistons. So a total of around $4400 (with a Holley oil pan) for 525 very reliable horsepower (450-ish TQ) that "should" have very nice idle quality, pull enough vacuum for power brakes, and run for well over 100,000 miles.
I went a little overboard with the trans for my project, though. I have a TCI 6X transmission that's loosely based on the 4L80E commonly found in half ton Silverados. If you just source the trans from an Escalade or similar 1500 Silverado, that'll be just fine. A trans controller can run over $1500 if you go aftermarket, but honestly, just look for a complete takeout engine/trans from an Escalade or Silverado SS, and for around $2500, you'll have at least 345 HP and 380 TQ STOCK. Stab a good cam in there, a little head cleanup, and the LS engines really respond well to that. Plus, it'll run, well, like a Cadillac.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I love the LS engines, but cost wise its NOT always cheaper to "drop in" a used one if you already have a strong start for a SBC build. Almost EVERYTHING other than the engine changes... Accessory brackets, mounts, front springs, computer, accessories, electrical harness, fuel pump, electric fans...

Tommy

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
^^^Agreed, Tommy. That's why I still have (and love) my SBC

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Jist a little food for thought. Hooker makes an LS conversion "kit" for G bodies. It's basically just headers, engine mounts, an oil pan/pickup & a trans cross member for an auto trans. It runs around $1400.00 by itself. You still need a computer, new engine harness, probably a bunch of different accessory brackets, a fuel pump, electric fans, front springs and I'm sure there are other things I don't know about.

Don't get me wrong, lots of guys are doing the swap, I'm just trying to be realistic with the costs.

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Although a step back in technology, they've been out long enough someone would probably have a carbed intake/ignition setup for cheaper, but those probably run almost as much as getting a harness/computer & other stuff if it's not included with the engine you buy.

Depends on the application. I love the LS for its tech (and strength) advances, but I'm tempted to build a potent TBI (for the carbed look) SBC for mine to keep some of the original look.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Not really more than any other I wouldn't think, I use the EBL from DynamicEFI.com, beats having to burn chips, you can datalog and do several other things, but a great feature is the learn feature... it tunes up to 12% from the current fuel table, and the more learns you do the better it runs. It's best to do that with a wideband O2 though, the narrowband is useless for tuning.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts