Manual brake ??? Help please!

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
Want to convert to manual brakes and have read a bunch of threads on here about it. All of them seem to use a bunch of aftermarket brakes and adapter plates etc.. for the master cylinder. I was at local parts store looking through replacement brake parts , noticed they offered a factory manual master cylinder for the malibu. Has anybody tried this, will it just bolt up and go if I remove my power master cylinder and booster. The master cylinder is only $48.00 and will try it if anybody has done it before. Thanks!

Toner283

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2008
Arthur, Ontario, Canada
I found this a while ago on a site I was on. i think if i remember correctly it was supposed to be made of 1/2 inch plate. And 79malibusbc is right you will need to fab up a longer brake pushrod for the manal brakes.

ManualBrakeTemplate.jpg

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
I am not understanding the need for the thick plate. I have never had to take the master cylinder/booster off one of these before so really don't know what it looks like. Was the firewall made different on a manual brake car or something? Sorry don't mean to ask stupid ???? just want to understand before i take mine apart.

79malibusbc

Dragway Regular
Aug 21, 2007
old bridge new jersey
a 3/16 plate is good.. i really dont know if the firewalls were different or not but you need a plate if your car was a power setup before cause the hole in the firewall is bigger then the master it self.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
Thanks for the help guys. Guess I need to find a donor S10 in the junk yard now. Again thanks!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts