Master switch off/alt. keeps car running

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
This has been discussed a few times but can't find any answers to my problem. Will try and explain set up best I can. The car has most everything wired to a junctin box on the firewall. This is how I have the alt. wired. the post wire(red) is running to the battery(trunk) along w/a wire(red) that is coming from the stock wiring harness. The plug red wire is plugged into the juction box on firewall and the brown wire which has a diode runs to the factory harness. I am running a MSD 6al also wired to junction box. This is what I have tried at one time or another and it still runs when switch is turned off. Checked to make sure diode was wired right, ran all reds(post,plug,harness) to cut off, looped plug red to alt post. I know this is a lot of info to get through but any ideas would be helpful. It has to be something simple but ust can't put my finger on it. Only thing I haven't done was converted over to a one wire set up. The car is used only for drag racing and as you know won't pass tech this way. It's only a few wires how hard can it be?

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
Well, I can explain how I wired my 66 Chevelle and maybe that'll help. I have the battery in the trunk and I have a 1-gauge battery cable that connects to the remote starter solenoid under the front fender. The main charge wire comes from the battery also and goes to an S-10 style junction block on one side only. On the other side of the junction is all of the +12V battery leads for things like the line lock, trans brake, etc. I have a seperate master relay/fuse control center that everythign flows through but simply put, when I flip the master dis-connect out back, the car and everything electrically dies too, as it should. I am running a 120-amp alternator (early 90's S-10) and the way it's tied in is like this: the small pink wire is wired to a 12V IGN junction and the main charge lead is tied to the same post on the BAT. junction as is the feeds for my line lock, trans brake, etc. This way, it sees the remote voltage sensing and the connection for the alternator is broken whenever I flip the master dis-connect. If you want, gimme a call and I can walk you through it better. -Jabin 515-979-8602

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Thanks for the reply, after some thought and your input went back and figured it out.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts