max engine set back with stock firewall

mike from bc

Dragway Regular
Jul 13, 2003
maple ridge bc
whats max engine set back with stock firewall ?? anyone every move theirs back . the reason i,m asking is i have a old set of DAVIS Step headers from a previous G-body ( 78 Monte ) and while mocking them up on our 81 BU the rear tubes are a wrap around the frame and after notching the bottom of the frame too clear the tube , the tube is right up tight against the lower A-arm mount and that,s with no bolts .

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

next ?? is it possible i,m not using the correct motor mount or position in the frame ?? and the motor is too far forward ?? the car was a roller when we got it and had no motor mounts .

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
On most of these cars, the lower A-arm mount needs to be trimmed on the passenger side for adequate header clearance.

mike from bc

Dragway Regular
Jul 13, 2003
maple ridge bc
it needs more then a trimming , i,m betting i need to move the motor back 2 " to get the tubes to clear the bolts for the rear lower A-arm mount . i guess i,ll have to wait till i can drop the body back on and see how much i can move the motor back before i do the front motor plate and mid plate mounts

mike from bc

Dragway Regular
Jul 13, 2003
maple ridge bc
Thanx Cliff i may try and pop over later in the week ,i,ll give you a call if i get some time , i,d love to see your project

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts